Beam

I hung up on Forth as soon as Lam's call flitted in. I pretended to play it cool as I answered his call.

"Heyy."

"I just got home. Went for a smoke first. You not sleeping yet?"

"Hmm. No. Was just watching a movie."

"Oh what movie?"

"One of Liam Neeson's old films. Taken 2."

"Oh that's a good one. I love that series too!"

"Really? That's nice. Want to catch no.3 later if you want?"

"Er.."

"I can invite the boys too. It be like a boys movie session together. If you want.."

"Yea that be cool. Sure why not? Maybe you can text in the group chat."

I agreed and we hung up soon after. I just sighed. I guess being friends was a start. And probably the end game. I shouldn't expect more. Dude doesn't even want to catch a movie with me alone.

I rounded off the movie, went to sleep. I woke up around 8am and put in the group chat about the movie session. All of them enthusiastically agreed and even said they would bring snacks and drinks. Nice! I spent the rest of the day cleaning my room and making sure we had stock of drinks just in case plus snacks primarily Lam's favourites. The boys can eat those too. It be fine. Around 2pm, the boys trickled in. I was quite stoked to see all of them actually including my beloved Pha.

We were supposed to start at 3pm but I realized Lam never made it. Forth finally ran in at 2.45pm apologising for being late and that Lam will not be able to make it after all. A family thing popped up so he had to go attend to it. I just smiled and nodded, inviting Forth in warmly though he saw how my eyes had dulled. I just tried to keep up the smile. I sat with Pha for the movie and just laid on him for comfort. Pha knew how I felt and didn't say anything and just held onto me as we watched the movie. Just as the movie was about to end, the boys decided to play a new one. I agreed and had gone to the kitchen to top up everyone's drinks. The boys decided to take a quick smoke break and what mot before the next movie. I was humming away softly in the kitchen topping drinks up when I heard a soft voice asking me, "I'm sorry I was late. I guess I missed the movie huh?"

I stopped pouring my drink but didn't turn to face him. I had actually had given up hope he would turn up. I tried to re arrange my facial expression and turned around smiling brightly as I looked at Lam.

"Hey. You made it. No issues. We are about to play another Liam Neeson flick actually. Can I get you a drink?"

"Can we talk for a bit first? Privately if its OK?"

"Something happened? Are you ok?"

"I.. I just wanted to tell you why I couldn't come. I.. I'm.. s.."

"It's ok Lam. You don't have to tell me anything. It's cool. As long you are safe, that's good. There are drinks in the fridge. Help yourself ok. Think the movie is starting soon."

I quickly hurried off, handing out drinks and we all settled down. I expected Pha to sit with me but asshole of a friend swapped seats and sat next to Forth whilst making Lam sit next to me. I just smiled at him and turned to the movie. About 10 minutes into the movie, Lam inched closer to me and held onto my left hand. I glanced towards it and was wondering on what to do when he clasped his hand through mine and inched even closer. I finally took the leap of faith and held his hand back.

From my peripheral view, I saw a small smile flit over Lam's face which tugged at my heartstrings. We took a small break in between as the boys were getting hungry so we paused the movie to order food. Max and Tul went to smoke whilst Forth, Pha and Kit went to collect the food downstairs. Park had to leave as Ming and Yo didn't join us today due to some scheduling conflicts and he went to pick them up. That left only me and Lam. I was just cleaning up the living room and Lam helped me out.

"My dad had some issues with his bank and since it's a joint account with me, I had to go down to sign and rectify the issue. That's why. Sorry I was late."

"It's really OK Lam. Don't worry. You still did come so that's nice."

Lam nodded.  The boys then came back with the food and all. We all decided to sit down and eat. The boys scattered all over. Pha sat with me as we decided to split the same thing. I cut up the food and served it to him. I was quite used to looking after my friends this way especially Pha and Kit. However, it didn't hit me that it was new to the rest and they all cooed over how sweet I was being towards Pha.

I just laughed it off and continued until I realized Lam was just looking at me. He didn't say anything but his facial expression was clocking something else. I looked at Forth who was unruffled and just busy chomping away. I smiled at Lam who just nodded his head and turned away. Weird.

When we were done and sat down for the movie, Lam sat with Max and Tul instead. I didn't say anything but wondered what transpired the change. I just sighed softly and watched the rest of the movie. The boys all left around 8pm. It was a Saturday night so some wanted to go to the bar and some had date plans. I waved them off. Pha and Kit left together. Forth offered to stay to hang out with me but I chased him away to go home and rest. He smiled and left. I thought everyone had left but then Lam came out of the toilet.

"Ouh. Everyone had left? Sorry I was in the bathroom."

"It's ok Lam. No issues. Yea. Forth just left though. You prolly can catch up with him."

"It's cool. I be fine on my own. Hmm, what you going to do for the night? Any plans?"

"Not really. Pha and Kit are going to the bar and invited me but I wasn't in the mood. So I skipped. You?"

"Nothing either actually. I just want to stay in."

"Hmm okays."

"I.. would you be up for watching Taken 3 with me again? I feel bad I missed out on watching it with you and really want to if you are up for it."

I smiled involuntarily. I couldn't help it. I nodded and this time Lam responded with a smile of his own. I went to set it up before my thudding heart gave it away.

Ah god, help me survive the night please.