40. nightmares 2 [explicit]

A/N: Content Warning: Themes of Depression, Mentions of Suicide, Self-Harm and a small mention of abuse as well. More notes below.

Wednesday's POV

The first night was quiet. I had only drifted off to sleep for a brief moment before I was awakened by the scream of Enid. It was something I would never be able to forget. Enid had told me that she was suffering from nightmares and unsettling dreams for the past few days, and tonight was her breaking point. I was extremely worried and scared for her because she had never really experienced such frightening dreams, and I felt powerless when she was suffering through these experiences...

"Enid, I am here, I promise you, I am not going anywhere.."

Enid was covered in sweat, shaking in fear.

"No, please, I can't... it's too much, please..."

I held her close, but she pushed me away everytime. I knew that there was not anything further I could do, so I just laid in bed next to her until we both fell asleep.

***

The second night, Enid bolted upright, letting out another blood-curdling scream. Usually, these types of tortuous screams I would find soothing to sleep to, but Enid's was... scary... it was like she was being hurt in her dreams, and everytime she woke up, she was afraid of the outside world. I had started to notice scars on her arms. I teared up at Enid's suffering, I felt useless, like I just was not able to help her in the way she was craving... I just wanted her to be okay again, I wanted whatever was hurting her in her dreams to leave her the fuck alone.

***

The third night, Enid had walked out to the balcony, staring up at the stars. My mind was on high alert, but I do not want to startle her, so I quietly walked up beside her.

"I can't take this anymore..."

No, please don't say that, Enid... I know where that leads, and I don't want you to continue that... please...

"I've been dealing with these nightmares for days now... I can't get any fucking sleep... and right now... right now, it's taking everything in me not to... you know..."

A glance over the balcony filled me with fear unlike any other... Enid had changed me a lot over the course of our relationship history. When I had first arrived in Nevermore, I had made it a point not to allow myself to befriend anyone, not even fall in love. Enid tried very hard to make sure that part of me changed, and I made it difficult for her at every turn, even when she left the dorm room during one of our more dangerous escapades, something within me wished for her to return. I did not know what it was at the time, or maybe I did and just refused to call it out, but I had started to fall for her. It was not until that fated battle with Crackstone that I felt I had something to live for - someone to live for. I no longer had thoughts of removing myself from living, because Enid was there to stop me. The hug we shared that night changed my outlook on what I despised, and I at least wished to see another day, as long as she was next to me... to hear that she is even implying to end her life because of these fucking nightmares...

"Enid..."

Enid scoffed bitterly.

"God, you must think I'm absolutely fucking pathetic... I can't even handle nightmares without wanting to jump off this balcony... I keep pushing you away, I'm not supposed to be like this..."