Chapter Six

Swinging his legs in attempt to escape, Calum kicked Ashton's ankles. It didn't hurt enough to make him release the boy, but it did anger him more. Ashton laid down five more sharp smacks to Calum's upper thighs. He hissed in pain and tried to bring his hands back. Ashton held them in place just on his lower back.

"I'm not going to cry! This won't work on me! I'll just act worse if you don't stop!" Calum yelled.

"Will you now?" Ashton asked as he tugged his son's pants off, followed by his boxers. "We'll see about that."

Calum felt like crying, but he was determined to not give in to the unjust punishment. Ashton threw his leg over Calum's to prevent being kicked again. "Hey!" Calum cried out.

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK

The sixteen year old closed his eyes as silent tears rolled down his cheeks. He wasn't going to give in though. "You know better than to not cooperate in school." Ashton scolded, not expecting his son to answer.

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK

Calum sniffled and latched his fingers on Ashton's slacks.

"Calum, I'm not going to judge you if you cry." Ashton said. Calum shook his head defiantly.

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK

Calum almost started sobbing. Ashton knew Calum would start crying soon. He rubbed his back before saying, "fifteen more."

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK

The kiwi boy was shaking as he sobbed against Ashton's leg. "I-I'm s-sssorryy!" He cried as Ashton pulled his boxers and pants up, cradling him to his chest.

"Shhh. I know you are. It's okay, Cal." He soothed as he gently rocked the sobbing boy. Calum felt stupid for crying, especially after making a big fuss over how he wouldn't. Ashton just wanted him to calm down so he could talk to him once more.

"I thought you weren't going to cry, baby boy?"

Calum sighed, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay. You can cry, Cal. You don't have to be tough in front of me." Calum hugged his dad back as he calmed down more. The spanking really took a lot out of him. He was tired and felt like just passing out where he was.

"Tell you what: I'll carry you until the end of the hall and let you walk." Calum smirked at his dad. "Gotta put on a tough face for daddy," Ashton said teasingly.

They walked together to the end of the hall like Ashton promised, before Calum was set on his feet. Stumbling slightly, the dark haired lad managed to catch his balance and follow Ashton to the living room.

"How did it go?" Michael questioned, Luke was fast asleep on his shoulder.

"It went okay. Calum's grounded from his phone," Ashton replied, "hand it over." Calum reluctantly placed his phone in Ashton's hand, mumbling something about 'a stupid reason to be grounded' which both adults ignored.

"The boys go back to school tomorrow. I made Luke an appointment with a woman named Jessica at four who works in a small building off sixth street, can you take him? I have an interview tomorrow." Michael said suddenly.

"I have to work, skip the interview," Ashton said annoyed.

"I need a summer job, I just thought-"

"No you don't. I make enough money." Ashton snapped. Calum was awkwardly staring at the floor. He hated when his parents argued. They could go for hours.

"The appointment is only half an hour-"

"Then I guess you'll be half an hour late to the interview," Ashton sassed.

Michael was fed up, "you can take half an hour off to help our son."

"You didn't go to college, Michael! Just keep playing house-wife, you're doing great."

Michael's jaw flew open at Ashton's words. "House-wife? Calum go upstairs." Michael demanded.

Calum sprinted up the steps and turned on his radio, not caring to hear them argue.

"That's what you are. You teach a music class at a middle school. I'm a doctor at St. Anne's. I mean, what's more important?" Ashton argued.

"F*ck you, Ashton. I'm sleeping on the couch."

"See? You are such a house-wife."

"Daddy?" Came Luke's groggy voice from the couch. "Are you guys arguing, is it over me?"

"No baby, we're not arguing," Ashton said as he put Luke on his lap. Luke didn't believe his parents, but he laid his head on Ashton's chest and felt his heart beat to relax. "I'll sleep with Luke tonight. You can have the whole bed to yourself." Michael clenched his jaw tightly.

"Fine, whatever. Good night, Luke."

***

"Dad?" Luke whispered. Ashton groaned tiredly.

"Yeah, baby?"

"It's really dark in here." Luke complained. He couldn't even see his hands.

"That's because it's night time, just close your eyes." Ashton slung his arm around Luke, pulling him farther into his chest.

"I can't sleep."

"Just try." Ashton begged.

  "Can I turn the lights on?"

"No, Luke. Just close your eyes."

Luke tried to remove Ashton's arm so he could go sleep in the tub with the lights on when he sighed, "Why won't you sleep?"

"I don't wanna have another nightmare." Luke admitted.

"You won't. I'll scare them away, now sleep."

"But-"

"Don't test me, Luke. I'm overly tired and not in the mood for this." Ashton's eyes were closed but his arms were wide open for Luke to crawl into. He was too scared to actually sleep though.

Everytime Luke looked around he would see a shadow or something in the corner of his eye that frightened him.

Once morning hit, Ashton and Michael woke the boys up. Luke pretended to sleep the whole night, but he never actually fell asleep. He was extra tired the next day.

Michael handed the boys money for lunch and made sure they had their bags with them, and had their hair brushed. "Bring that grade up, Calum!" Ashton shouted as he walked out the door. Michael turned to him and shook his head, leaving for the kitchen, which was like his room of the house. Something about the kitchen was just so calming

Ashton blew off his husband's angst towards him as he got ready for work.