Forty-Four

Hey, sorry I left this for such a long time. I hope you guys are still interested, I'm trying to recall how I left things off. Also, all these updates are weird, I hope this goes through how I think it will :p

  Nill held Lake's hand as the two boys wandered further down the hiking trail. Luke was nervous about leaving without telling anyone, but he was with Niall, and Niall was protective of Luke.

  Calum was doing his best to entertain himself at the neighborhood block party, although it seemed rather dull to the young man. Liam and Harry remained by his side, discussing plans for the summer.

  "Ashton!" Buddy, the neighbor approached Michael and Ashton, looking quite pleased with himself for recognizing one of the Irwin-Clifford's. Ashton groaned internally. His hatred for Buddy started when he brought cookies to his neighbor's house with Michael and Buddy's wife rudely declined their gesture.

  "Buddy!" Michael smiled and pinched Ashton's bum,as a reminder to be nice. "We haven't seen you or Jordan in a long time."

  "Not that we need to change that," Ashton remarked. Buddy didn't seem to hear, he only smiled wider.

   "Jordan is chatting with some of the other mom's. She's a catch! I'm going to grab us all some beers so we can catch up once more."

   When Buddy was out of sight, Ashton snapped at Michael, "I will not pretend to like that idiot or his bitch of a wife!"

   "Ashton, just let everyone have a nice time today," Michael sighed.

  "She called you a disease carrying fåg! And you're just going to pretend it didn't happen? If it was accepted socially I'd smack that woman across the face. You know I get overly protective of you, Michael." Their conversation stopped when Buddy came back.

  "Keep up!" Niall started getting more nervous the farther he walked with Luke, and the younger blonde was a bit behind.

  "I'm trying! I'm just a bit out of breath," Luke felt slightly fatigued, but he tried to ignore that as he pressed on with his boyfriend. Niall paused, giving his love more time.

   The more steps Luke took, he worse he felt. Instead of saying anything he sat against a tree and closed his eyes. "Luke?"

   "I feel really weird," Luke was suddenly on the ground with his eyes closed tightly  Niall felt panic take over as he screamed out for help.

  "Liam, have you seen Niall?" Zane asked his oldest son. Liam shook his head, no. Louis and Zayne were both concerned. A missing son was usually very bad news. The couple made their way over to Lake's parents and let them know they didn't see either boy.

  The Irwin-Clifford parents were over joyed to have an excuse to ditch Buddy, who was talking about a sports team of some sort.

  "I thought I last saw Niall this way!" Louis muttered as the four adults entered the hiking trails. They walked for at least twenty minutes before they all heard Niall screaming for help as he tried to pick up Luke.

  "Oh my gőd!" Michael sped over to his son and tried to wake him up. Ashton did the same, feeling for a pulse. Niall burst out into sobs.

  "I-i don't know what happened! We were walking and suddenly it was too much for Luke and he collapsed, I'm so sorry, Luke's Dads!" Louis and Zayne held Niall close while he sobbed. They were upset with the boy, but he needed to cry for now.

  "What do we do?" Michael yelled.

  "Relax, I think Luke is just dehydrated, you know he barely eats anything. That with the lack of water probably made him faint. We need to take him to a hospital, go back and start the car, I can carry him." Ashton stated.

  ***
Michael, Calum, Ashton, and Luke all rushed to the hospital. Luke was admitted instantly to the ICU. The rest of the family waited nervously in the waiting room.

  Niall walked home with his parents. They were both planning on teaching the boy a lesson once they reached the house. Zayne opened the door and shoved Niall inside. Louis glared at their son, furious at the youngest for taking off without letting anyone know.

  "Is Luke okay?" Hearing their son's concern, both parents felt guilty with punishing their son until they had an answer for him.

  "We don't know yet, honey. Ashton will let us know, okay?" Louis held his baby tight, hoping the Irwin-Clifford boy would make it.