Chapter 2: Duty

It was late when I left the study after a long talk with His Majesty, the King.

He wasn't a good father by anybody's standards, but he was a good King.

Evrything was quite simple in his head, were I to become the King after him, the kingdom would be in capable hands, and thus he appointed me as the Crown Prince.

But with the arrival of the bullshit Imperial Decree, much less rule, even staying in the Kingdom Of Fae was nigh on impossible.

Thus my father choose to give up resistance, and as of right now, I had been placed under house arrest, until the day of my wedding to that damned Djinnath.

Ever the dutiful King, my father spared no efforts to make me remember all the ways in which I could bring benefit to the Kingdom, as the Consort of the Emperor.

I could only grit my teeth and say that I understood, after all, since he has already decided to give me up, he was definitely going to follow through to the end.

And it's not like I can discuss my escape plans with him anyway. All I can do is not implicate the Fae nation in the process.

I sighed.

And I hate sighing.

When I reached my room, Saltuk was sent away on a random errand, and I lay hapzhardly across the bed, still dressed in my official robes, as the thick fur of the collar provided a comfortable feeling under my head.

Tomorrow morning, I will open the secret cabinet and take out all my hard-earned treasures, I couldn't possibly leave without them.

After afternoon court was over, the messenger had informed us of the escort that would soon be arriving for the wedding procession, the fucking Sultan wanted a grand wedding.

I couldn't help but wonder, who would rule the kingdom in my place after I was gone?

Everything I'd worked hard for, for so many centuries, was all slipping from in between my fingers because of a lecherous and whimsical Djinn.

Years of schooling, training and what not, everything was for the sake of my crowning. But even if I successfully manage to escape, it was impossible to come back, and even more so, become the King Of Fae.

But how could I have known? This was by no means the first proposal I received from a suitor, there were Elven Prince and Princesses, Dwarven Cheifs, Fae Nobility, yet which one them could I not manage to refuse?

How could I have imagined that a Djinn I never met before would go crazy all of a sudden?

Perhaps it would be understandable if he had seen me somehow.

It isn't arrogance when I say that I have met many people, gorgeous beauties, celestial fairies, but I have yet to find someone better looking than myself.

Yet I don't recall ever meeting that Djinnath, if it isn't for my looks, why else? Alliance? Out of the question. My governing skills? I mean, they weren't bad but...yeah, right.

So then what?

Regardless, it is what it is.

I curled over, slowly closing my eyes and falling asleep.

*****

I was trying my best not to hurl someone out from the balcony of my quaters as I was poked here and prodded there.

It was infuriating. As I stood on the wooden box while the seamstresses rushed about taking my measurements, fucking telling me to 'take a deep breath and hold it'.