Chapter 8: Court Of The Empress

The hall where court was being held was magnificent, just as the rest of the Palace. My only complaint was that the chairs were too hard, why not put a cushion on it?

Because they don't want one to get too comfortable in a position of power. A voice in my head taunted.

Right after we sat down, the emperor waved his hand, motioning for the courtiers to sit.

"From the Court of Fae on the left, let us begin with Queen Selcan."

The highest ranking men and women of the Vassal nations were present alongside the Nobility of the Nnath Empire.

First among them, seated in the left side of the aisle was the Queen of Fae. It would've been the King of Fae had it not been for the fucker sitting besides me.

Nevertheless, she was the one bowing to me at the moment.

My half sister, Queen Selcan.

Last I heard of her, she'd finally ascended the Throne after marrying Lord Percy, a man she'd been chasing after for a decade already. Although he was merely a noble lord of our kingdom, one could hardly phrase it as marrying above his station.

For one, being part of the Queen's Harem brought along a lot of restrictions. Not leaving the Palace without permission being just one of them. Losing his inheritance being another.

And there was barely any power in his hand, not counting pillow talk, ofcourse.

On the contrary, even though I too was wedded to a man such as Emperor Alaric, I had a surprisingly huge amount of power.

I smirked down at her from the elevated platform to where she was paying her respects. Bitch though she scored one over me when I left.

"Your Imperial Majesties, the Emperor and his Empress. Please accept the humble gifts I wish to offer in your honour."

From behind where she was seated earlier, a few men brought along large and beautifully carved golden chests.

I raised an eyebrow, mentally.

"These are the most precious of gems found in the Kingdom Of Fae, it would be an immeasurable honour for us, if you'd accept this."

I applauded her in my mind, Would you look at that? I bet she was grinding her teeth to dust while picking these gifts.

Gems were quite precious for us Fae, the more beautiful they were the better. Giving them away must be insanely against her nature.

I remained silent, let's not rub it in then.

While His Majesty responded, "The Kingdom of Fae has always been exceptionally loyal to the Empire, I have no reason to reject your goodwill."

He raised his hand and gestured for a soldier standing next to him. The man quickly stepped down from the platform and got down on one knee in front of Selcan, holding up a small, opened box.

"Inside it is the core of a silver dragon, I bestow it upon you for your loyalty."

The Queen of fae slowly reached her hand inside the box, fingers trembling.

"Thank you for Majesty, your grace and magnanimity shall not be forgotten.."

The Sultan nodded, waving his hand to dismiss her.

"Then I trust you to keep your words."

After the Queen went back to her seat in elation, one by one the other foreign representatives took their turns. Offering gifts, pledging services and spouting flattery, just the usual things.