Chapter 12: Let Me Live In Peace

"His Majesty is here!"

As the words registered in my head, I turned to look at the door warily, this man had such coincidental timing.

Too coincidental.

I didn't have much time to ponder on it as I was broken out of my thoughts by the concubine suddenly breaking into a sob;

"Ah!! You maniac, lunatic!!"

Hello? Miss ma'am, now you're crying? Where did the tigress go? 

Giving her an amused look, I asked: "What's this?"

"Trying to drive me out of the Palace! Attacking me for no reason!! Crazy fae creature!"

As the door clicked open, I waved my hand lightly, sealing her lips shut; "Hmp-!"

There were a few Palace guards trying to drag away the concubine's maid, the lady herself was crouched on the floor gasping and crying, now on mute.

The other soldiers and servants all stood about awkwardly, at a loss.

And there I was, standing in the middle of it all. 

This was the sight that greeted his Majesty in the corridor outside the Empress's study.

How ungraceful, hah.

For an instant, I believe I saw a trace of surprise flash in his eyes but it was gone the next moment. Instead, he walked up to me, bearing arrogant as always.

"What is the commotion for?"

I titled my head, looking at him, "I wouldn't know."

"Perhaps you should ask Lady Xie over there? She has plenty to say, I think."

In a quick motion the seal on her mouth fell away and the hall was filled with her sobbing again.

"Your Majesty, I only...wanted to greet the Empress," she even hiccuped.

"I thought we could spend our lesiure time together but...it seems he doesn't like me at all. I don't...what did I do wrong, Your Majesty?"

The Emperor looked down at her quivering body sprawled pitifully the floor, then motioned for one of the female genies to help her up.

Then he turned to me, expressionles: "Is that true?"

I shrugged, "If it is?"

Alaric raised his eyebrows.

"I will not be interrogated by you over a mere concubine, Emperor."

Although this incident didn't really mean much to me, the power I've held since birth wouldn't allow myself to be humiliated.

Moreover, leaving things as they were would make me seem unsure and timid as a ruler.

"You there," I pointed to a senior genie standing by the door, "Take Concubine Xie to receive her punishment, twenty lashes for lying to the Emperor, twenty for disrupting the peace in my palace. But make sure she doesn't die."

Then I turned to his Majesty, only to smile and ask: "Unless you disagree?"

He stared at me for a long moment.

Then jerked his head at the genie, "Do as you've been told."

I could hear the palace servants moving, the concubine screaming and the senior genie pulling her away. But for a brief momnet, I didn't feel like focusing on that.

Rather, my mind conjured a thought not entirely unwelcome, He's not that bad, I guess.

I felt somewhat pleased with the man in front of me.