Chapter 10: Wrath

I glanced at the Emperor as he sat opposite me, starting on the meal. Before he arrived, I was already nearly done with the food, hence at this moment I simply sat there watching him eat.

Holding my face up with one hand, I leaned on the table.

"If you don't mind me asking, what was Your Majesty so enraged by, a few moments ago?"

Was it a good idea to probe for answers when he'd barely composed himself? I'm not too sure, nevertheless, what's the worst that could happen?

Still, I was internally surprised when the Emperor looked up without a trace of discontent on his face.

"Matters of court, so as to say." He spoke expressionlesly.

Before I could urge him, he continued: "Some high-ranking officials are suspected to have been involved in a case of embezzlement of funds for drought relief."

Damn.

I raised an eyebrow, "Stealing drought relief funds? That's low."

Alaric nodded, "It is."

"But that's not why you were furious, is it?" I asked.

He looked up again, "What makes you think something else has happened?"

Ofcourse one could translate it as, Do you have somebody reporting things to you? A spy, perhaps?

"If it was only a matter of stolen funds, as long as Your Majesty is aware, I believe it is not hard to find conclusive evidence," I titled my head, "or plant evidence for that matter."

I leaned back from the table, "Dare I say, persecuting the culprits is what matters the most, the means...it doesn't matter if they are crooked."

The Emperor's mouth curved in a shallow arc, a barely traceable smirk, "What you mean to say is...?"

"What I mean is, none of it matters as long the people responsible are taken by surprise, if the guilty were to get wind of this matter however...well things could get a tad complicated. Tell me, your majesty, did you sense a traitor around you?"

The Emperor finally seemed to concentrate, putting down the fork in his hands. "It is precisely so."

Then he continued: "The embezzlement was done very cleanly and no conclusive evidence could be found."

I nodded slowly as he spoke, "For that reason you decide to plant evidence and charge them with the crime..?"

"Indeed, but this morning at court the criminals had come prepared, every accusation was countered effortlessly. It was to the extent that the minister accusing them, a loyal subject of mine, was put under scrutiny."

I tsked, shaking my head: "Forgive me if I overstep my limits, but who were the people in the know about your intentions? The traitor can only be one of them."

Alaric leaned back in the seat, "Naturally, my men are investigating. The Minister of the Disaster Control Department, The Head of the Beauru of Criminal Investigation and Lady Warla, the minister tasked with bringing up the topic in court, these three were the only people that were aware of the plans."

The emperor shrugged, "I was reluctant to cast suspicion on them since they've been nothing but loyal in the past but it seems my trust might have been misplaced, as far as the Minister from Disaster Control is concerned."

I looked up in surprise, "Oh? You already found the snitch that fast? Impressive.."

"But...the problem still stands, how are you going to charge the thieves now? They must have their guards up, now that they've been warned."