Chapter 16: Fine Wine.

"Aren't you getting too ahead of yourself?" 

The elf didn't respond, staring staright ahead at me in silence. 

"A blood oath? That's quite heavy, you understand."

It really was no exaggeration saying that, that thing literally imprinted on the maker's soul, a little misleading given that it was called the blood oath. 

You couldn't get rid of it even if you changed bodies, or so as to say, died and then reincarnated. 

Given how much it strained the soul, only one blood oath was possible at a time. So if a person died without fulfilling his promise, his soul would carry the weight of the oath to the next life.  

It was extremely precious. And dangerous. 

But this guy had the gal to ask for it. 

"I need to-"

"It's fine, it's fine," I interrupted, "come here, let's not linger with it."

A flash of relief gleamed in his eyes, and he quickly strode over to the center of the study. I left my seat as well, taking out a small dagger from my clothes and tossing it to him.

"Use this." 

He caught it by the hilt, examining it carefully. 

"It's not spelled, don't worry." I offered. Although that probably made him more suspicious of it.

Rolling my eyes, I used another blade to make a cut on my own palm. "Get on with it, don't waste my time." 

At that, he gave one last close look to blade, and proceeded to slash his hand with it. I grabbed his wrist with my other hand and brought the wounds closer together. 

As the blood mingled between our palms, he spoke first, voice low but steady;

"I swear to fulfill the desire of Fae Ivor, given it is within my capacity, in return for his assistance coming to power." 

I hummed in approval as his cut stopped bleeding, healing immediately till only a small scar was visible. That scar would remain until the promise was fulfilled.

"I swear to assist the Elf Baylor, within reasonable means, in taking office as the new leader of Avian Elves." 

As the words left my mouth, something I wasn't expecting happened. 

Extreme pain raged through my body. The wound gushed blood even faster as I bent over to support myself against the table.

What the hell?! 

My fists clenched as every nerve in my body seemed to protest from the torturous sensation. I could hear Baylor speaking, but the words seemed to be dulled. 

Sweat dripped down the tip of my nose, and tears of pain filled my eyes. The pain was so unbearable, I would have preferred getting a limb cut off instead. 

"Your Majesty, Is this supposed to happen?! Let me-"

Baylor was speaking but I couldn't focus on anything other than the cut on my palm.

"St..ay..away..." my voice came out strangled.

I took in deep breaths, slowly but surely, the tide of pain was receding.

It went as suddenly as it came, leaving me shocked and drained. 

I collapsed on the chair, head rolled back as I tried to regain control of myself. 

The blood had stopped flowing, and the wound was healed. Except for the inch-sized scar, nothing remained. Not even blood.

Raising one hand, I waved him away. "You are dismissed. I will get in touch, but for now, go back."