Chapter 11: The Concubine

After the Emperor left, the room was empty for a long while, except for me. Slowly, I sat up straighter from the bed, making my way to the chamber entrance.

"Lady Maria, call for healers immediately." I ordered.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Sprawled all over the corridor were some of the maids and guards, groaning in pain and unease. Most were fine but some seemed to have fallen awkwardly and broken a thing or two.

"Have them taken care of, and provide generous compensation from my private funds."

Abia bowed, "Ofcourse."

I waved my hand, brushing a wave of fae magic in the corridor.

"This should numb the pain till you get it treated, as for this matter...I trust none of you will speak further of it."

A dull wave of, "Yes, Your Majesty." could barely be heard.

Soon enough, the sound of hurried footsteps filled the place as the healers arrived. I nodded once at the leading physician, an old man with a head full of white hair.

As they began to cast their healing spells, I turned back into my chambers, closing the door behind me.

"Saltuk," I called, "Make sure the healers don't talk, the Emperor's reputation should not be that of a tyrant."

"Yes.." A low voice responded, despite the fact that nobody could be seen inside the room.

"Good. And have Abia come inside for a moment, I have a task for her."

********

"So you believe the Emperor is treating you as the substitute for his ex-lover?" Abia asked, doubt written on her face.

"Something like that," I nodded, "The fae don't forget any encounters in their lifetime, and I most certainly have never met the Emperor before. His behavior does not make any sense."

She picked up the goblet of wine and tipped it back, gulping down the drink. "Maybe he just likes beautiful people?"

I shook my head, "It wasn't mere liking, he seemed...crazed, for lack of a better word. The emotional impact on him was too strong to be dismissed."

Abia put down the vessel, "Hmm...I see, what do you need me to do then? It's not like we can just ask him."

"No, you need not do anything, just keep an eye out, or an ear. Any and all rumours, report them to me. A suspicious figure from the past, the Emperor making private visits, anything of significance."

"Got it. Now let's drink-" the jar of alcohol that was only a few centimeters from her fingers disappeared, reappearing in my hands.

I raised an eyebrow. "It's getting late Abia, you'd better return now."

"Late? You can easily stay up all night! Let's have a couple drinks for old times sake..."

I shook my head decisively, "Out of the question."

"But why not??" She groaned.

"You ask me why you shouldn't get drunk in enemy territory?" I looked at her incredulously.

"We can just..."

"Not to mention, the servants are right outside. Lady Maria and I aren't close enough to have late night chats, you know that? Lady Maria?"