Chapter 14: Investigation.

Three days had passed since I had taken on the task of solving the embezzelment case. In fact, it wasn't all that hard to provide proof of guilt for a couple noblemen from my position, but to do it in such a manner that could be a testament of my abilities was more important.

To make it seem effortless. Overwhelming.

I raised my teacup to Abia sitting oppostie me, "Any bright ideas?"

Her disguised face maintained a polite expression as she played the role of a dutiful lady-in-waiting, suggesting: "Well, my lord could always torture a confession out of the man."

"I could but, did I ever tell you I like to keep things diplomatic?"

I could feel the assasain holding back the urge to roll her eyes, saying: "That is to say, you already have something in mind."

Chuckling unabashedly, I muttered, "You know me too well."

Abia tilted her head, "So, what do you plan on doing?"

I put the porcelain cup down on the table and smirked, "Definetly not paying a certain minister a friendly visit."

"Oh lord..."

*******

It was late at night, far past the time for an average person to have fallen asleep.

I soundlessly moved through the empty mansion corridors, ocassionally brushing against the curtains swaying with the cool breeze. 

It was a quiet night with the silver glow from heavenly bodies streaming in through the windows. 

The residence of the Minister of Disaster Control.

Prime suspect of the embezzelment case.

Turning a corner, I spotted two guards coming my way while they conversed among themselves. 

"My wife is so good in bed, man, I look forward to my days off all week."

"Will you stop? You know I just got cheated on, that's why you said that right?"

"Ahehe, no, no. But...we're open for a threesome sometime?"

"What the-"

I passed them by.

Looking back, I could see them continuing their conversation down the hall.

They couldn't see me.

Actually, I was somewhat doubtful as to whether my magic would manage to hide me inside this heavily spelled mansion. It didn't work in the palace, atleast.

I stopped outside the minister's study, senses tingling madly from the barriers in place.

Slowly, I took a deep breath and stepped forward, through the illusion of a door. The defensive spells failed to obstruct.

I looked up, sight focusing on the youthful djinn in the centre of the room seated behind the working table, looking down at some papers. 

Bingo.

"Hey." 

His head snapped up, "Who, who the hell-"