Chapter 15: The Visitor.

"Your Majesty?" 

As I made to get up and greet him, he waved his hand dismissively, "It's fine."

For a moment, I couldn't help but pause and stare at him, perhaps because he hadn't come here directly from court, his aura today was not as overwhelming. 

Surrounded by brightly coloured flowers, leaves fluttering in the air, he seemed less intimidating than usual. He stood underneath the same tree I was sitting under the shade of and for a moment, it felt to me as if I had experienced this scene countless times before. 

"Did you need something, Your Majesty?"

He nodded, "Name."

"Hm?"

"You may call me by name."

I paused, staring at him blankly. 

Isn't that a bit unnecessary? Not to mention inappropriate. 

As a flash of impatience appeared in his eyes, I quickly responded;

"...alright. Alaric."

He seemed pleased with that, nodding as he turned away. 

"I wonder if you have arranged banquets before?"

My face twisted in a grimace. Why is he asking? To use me as free labour? 

Although, technically it was part of my duties. 

Anyway, if I lie and refuse, he wouldn't risk giving me this job right?

So I looked up at him carefully, "...No?"

He stared back at me skeptically, "Really? Well, this is an excellent oppurtunity for you to learn, because the festival of gods is just around the corner."

My left eye twitched, I could feel it. 

"Right."

With a forced smile that probably came out more as a grimace, I agreed. "Ofcourse, it's my pleasure to take responsibility for something as important as this." 

The Emperor smirked. He smirked!

"If you could, have it arranged similar to how the fae host their annual banquets."  

My mouth fell open as I choked on my words, I arranged those! He totally knew it when I was lying earlier!!

 I looked away, closing my eyes in painful embarrassment as I felt my face heat up in shame, "Sure, I'll do that."  

Never again, will I lie out of laziness. Lesson learned, the sad way. 

Satisfied with my agreement, he held out his hand to pull me up. At his action, the servants quickly started packing up the things I had brought with me.

Alright then, no need to ask me if I'm done here. But fine, whatever, I was planning to leave anyway. 

I complied, putting my fingers on his waiting palm. The calluses on his hand were obvious from the contact, and briefly I wondered, why not get a healer to take care of it? 

But then again, as a monarch, I suppose he must have more important things to deal with than the calluses on his hands. 

Getting on my feet again, I nodded before pulling away, as a thought appeared in my head. 

"You came just to ask this of me?"

Alaric gestured for me to walk, as he explained, "A person you were waiting to meet has arrived, I thought to get you myself."