Chapter 24: Past Love, Chasing Secrets.

It was late into the night when Saphira let us down on the open terrace to the Empress' palace.

No word were exchanged but the fact that Alaric hadn't gone to his own palace in first place let me know that he was spending the night here, again.

I left the terrace immediately after we came down from the air, along with Lady Maria and the few genies who had been waiting for us.

As for the Emperor, he seemed to have some matters to discuss with she-dragon, for which he stayed behind.

Maybe it was something related to the festival of Gods? Or about finding the vessel?

The ceremony perhaps..?

Oh, not that I was curious or anything.

But maybe it was-yeah, okay.

The corridors were more silent than usual, which I suppose made sense because it was pretty late. Apart from the night shift staff that made little to no sound, the rest of the palace was pretty much dead silent.

Perhaps unhealthy, but I was in no mood for dinner. So as soon as I reached my bedchamber, I had Abia bring out a nightrobe for me to change into.

Within half an hour, I had found a comfortable position in bed to knock myself out on.

Just as I'd contentedly closed my eyes and relaxed, the door to the inner room opened. There was no word from the guards outside but it was clear enough who the new arrival was.

I kept my eyes shut, and evened out my breathing.

Who knows, he might expect me to get up and help him disrobe. My spot is just too comfortable to give up right now. I can't, really can't.

He wasn't speaking, but I could feel eyes trained on me.

Its fine, I've done it before. Slow, even breaths.

But although that was within my control, my heart pumping like it wanted to come out and greet the guy was not.

What the actual fuck, is that thing malfunctioning right now???

"Oh, it seems he went to sleep already."

Alaric had said it softly but I could still hear it.

"I suppose the matter of getting him a dragon-riding instructor will have to be postponed."

Ah- oh shit.

My eyes almost flew open from the shock. I thanked the gods for the fact that I stopped it just in time.

Postponed. Okay, I'll probe the matter tomorrow. It's fine, I'm not losing the chance.

Is what I thought, until he spoke again,"But seeing that he's fallen deeply into sleep as soon as we came back, I suppose it might be unnecessarily tiring for him."

...No way.

Absolutely no way. I can't miss this chance, no, I won't miss this chance!

Okay, I'll pretend to wake up slowly. As if I wasn't very sleepy at all in the first place.

He'll definitely know I was acting but that's okay, its just us two here. Momentary embarrassment, that's all.

Deliberately letting out a soft groan, I slowly fluttered my eyes, sleepily I hope it appeared. Then blinking I few times, I started to sit up.

All was fine, excellent acting for sure.