Chapter 18: Never A Boring Day.

My steps were slow and reluctant, and although I wanted for nothing more than to dash out the door right away, leaving things as they were would only increase the awkwardness. 

So I pasted a calm expression on my face, which I could barely keep up, mind you. My face was twitching from the need to grimace. 

Or the need to squat on the floor and bang my head head against it half a million times. 

Alright Ivor, you've dealt with worse. 

I took a deep breath, and focused my eyes on the person at the table, who had looked up only once since my arrival.

"Your Ma-"

"AHHHHH-HELP MEEEE!" Somebody was shouting.

Boom!

The tray was smashed out of my hands and I immediately ducked to avoid the massive chunk of hard rock coming at me. 

The roof of the study had been blown off and there were people screaming everywhere. The sunlight that shone in through the hole was nearly blinding. 

"Is that a fucking dragon?!" 

Amidst the dust and the debris thrown about, I could make out a huge figure looming above the palace. Deep red in color, with visibly hard scales shimmering in the light.  

"Why the hell is it without a leash, Alaric?!" I yelled through all the noise, trying to make sure he heard me. 

In an unbelievably calm voice, he responded, "I believe it is a untrained dragon, my dear. It must have sneaked out of the dragonhold to have some fun." 

I looked up to see that he was no longer seated at the table, standing on it instead.

"And how does this seem fun to you? Somebody's skull could've been smashed open by that!"

"I'll take care of it...Haah!" With a low grunt, he jumped off from the table and onto the spiked tail that brushed the wall of the palace for a brief second.

The corner of the room was destroyed, but the Emperor had managed to latch onto the dragon's body in the chaos. 

"He's totally insane..." I muttered. 

So much for a nice talk, damn it.

Then ignoring everything, I rushed out of the study and into my own chambers, roughly to the center of the palace building.

Once there, I put my hands up, and started muttering in the language of my people. 

"Senta fare, łe ventiva, sefen tura, hardrini..."

"...yuso hare, sin faladi, nava ze, waradi."

Wave after wave of my energy swept the place in circles, hopefully healing all those injured, and casting protective barriers on their bodies.

Immediately after finishing the chant, my body sagged and I collapsed into the waiting arms of my aid Saltuk. 

"There are a lot...of injured people here..." I whispered, "..sucked the magic right out of me."

"Are you in pain, Your Majesty?" He asked, concerned. 

I shrugged his hand off slowly, "Never better."

Then pushing back with some force, I jumped onto a brick I had suspended up in mid air, then using several like it to reach the roof in fast motions, as if climbing stairs. 

Once I was up, I let them fall back down, and looked over in the distance, where the dragon had flown off with his majesty the Emperor of the country.