Chapter 2

Jahmir
" Jet these niggas weird on this side of town. You know me and Quez ain't never been to this part of town," Shaq tells me while I part my daughters hair.

"Don't get distracted by how nice it is, remember that's their territory, and they the only ones that know how ugly it truly is," I tell him putting jam on Souls hair brushing in the product.

"We here ya Jah," I hear Quez say to me in the background. I shake my head they always together. "Just stay focus y'all."  I tie the second pigtail, fluffing out the puff, and shaping it just like the other.

"Yea we are, but it's crazy how we really ain't never been on this side? Jet, Unc used to come out here all the time. I wonder how if we are such rival gangs?" Shaq questions leaving me to think.

August was a good boss, but people hold many secrets, and he was one of those people. I never questioned him or whatever he did, because he always told me, "not to worry."

"Something's are best left kept from the people you love in order to protect them and keep them safe."

"Damn so you saying Unc was doing some fucked up shit behind the scenes?"

Quez asks making me realize I said that shit out loud.

I had spoken my thoughts out loud without even realizing it.
I place the hair products back into the plastic bin.

"Daddy I have to go used the bathroom?" Soul tells me hopping off the chair running to the bathroom.

"Don't ignore us Jet!" I hear Shaq tell me.

"How am I supposed to know? Unc ain't tell me everything, only shit he felt I needed to know. Unc was human at the end of the day and the Kingpin of course he had secrets."

I tell them this fixing my coat jacket, and tying my bandanna around my head. I hear Shaq smack his lips.

"I never could understand, why he chose you? Don't get me wrong Jet you are capable, we both know that, but I'm sure you were also shocked, when James said you were the new leader?"

Quez tells me, and I always knew he was suspicious of the reason I was chosen to lead. I knew it wasn't on know jealousy type shit, and mainly because it didn't sit right with him.

However it wasn't just him that had them thoughts, I also experience them. Thoughts as to why August had so much faith in me race my mind everyday? He had  that much faith that I can run three turfs, and manage the drug game, more importantly the faith that I can hold lives in my hands.

"I don't know why. With August you know it was like playing a guessing game? What piece is he gonna throw in next? You'll never know his moves until he felt as though you were ready,"  I tell them grabbing my phone off the stand.

I pick up Soul's backpack watching her come running out of the bathroom with soapy hands. 

"Go rinse the rest of the soap off your hands," I tell her and she nods turning around and running back into the bathroom.  I adjust the straps of her backpack listening to Quez.

"I'm just saying Jet, how could you have so much trust in a nigga that didn't trust us enough when he was alive?" 

"Nigga hush up," Shaq tells him.