Part 18 ~Awaken At Once. Gensokyo Is Just A Dream.

Yukari Yakumo found herself staring at the dreaded ceiling above of this lonely, shut-in mansion.

She had just dreadfully awoken, eyes swollen from gaping tears and pupils dulled at the last light from years of grief and torment.

She laid against a simple mattress of a simply-pleated bed, nothing too special or all that fancy. Fits the melancholic mood just well.

The tiniest of fresh tears bobbing from the corner of her sore, staring eyes.

Her attire that of her usual clothing for her iconic nightwear, or rather, clothing used mostly when she exerted her body a lot before.

Long, frilly white dress, with purple patterns over it. Her frilly, red-ribboned bob cap however was nowhere to be found, not even on her head.

Speaking of her head, her blonde hair was trimmed shorter than usual.

It was no longer flowing with tied strands of ribbons, ribbons, and more ribbons.

It was short and bland, blonde hair.

The infamous, elegant smirk on her face was forever replaced with a look of aging sorrow.

"..."

That the legendary gap youkai herself had truly felt so upsetting for a drastic change of time in her almost immortal life.

That, it couldn't be, but it was... That she actually appeared traumatized, enveloped in utter horror.

A permanent moment of weakness in the woman's life, as all that had come to be part of her reputation, her identity, had fallen to an inevitable end.

Her punishment being served at this minute, surviving and living for sad, lonesome days filled with utter regret.

A consequence; a final stage that it was all over.

*Creeaaak~...*

*...SLAM-!!!...*

The violent soundwaves of the door's racket disturbed Yukari to the bone as she brought her body to sit up on her bed, hopelessly.

Shuffling in an unexpected disbelief, she spotted before her the girl who didn't mean to exist in the first place.

Not with such a closed-minded heart inside her. The one and only, ordinary youkai girl, Komeiji Koishi.

She was smiling, wandering and skipping around in the room, as though this was the day to be truly happy.

On the contrary, it clearly was not. Koishi here appeared to think of that otherwise.

"I'm back, Yukari! Areh- you already woke up now?" Koishi crowed to her cluelessly.

She continued, giggling and twirling on one foot of her heel, both her arms playfully placed by her back.