Chapter 6 - Eavesdropping

As soon as we walked inside the massive mansion built on top of the Vitali compound, Leonard swooped in and stole Vinchenzo without so much as a greeting. I was going to be his daughter-in-law eventually. 

I sighed before I gave Tristiaan a hug and helped him unload our bags from the boot of the car that had driven us from the airport.

"What did you put in here? Bricks that can only be found in Arizona?" Tristiaan joked as he lugged my bag up the stairs however, I wasn't interested.

"Why is he here?" I grimaced.

"Who?" Tristiaan asked.

"Papa Vitali." I muttered.

I didn't want to utter his name out too loud in case he bugged the place before we got here. My paranoia was becoming a serious issue.

"I am not too sure. It might have something to do with Francesca."

"Isn't she out touring the world?"

"Apparently not."

Just as we reached my room, I saw Vinchenzo walking towards me looking absolutely furious.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"My stupid sister has been trying to make an alliance with Stalias."

"But he's in jail!"

"Well unfortunately they forgot to imprison his daughter, she has taken over now. Leading in her fathers absence."

I snorted, "Her father has to serve over a hundred years. I doubt she will be seeing him."

"She is throwing a ball tonight."

"And we have to attend?" I said raising an eyebrow.

Vinchenzo nodded, "We have to. Father wants to scout her out. See if she is any real competition."

I rolled my eyes, "You are joking right?"

"Unfortunately not."

"Who throws a ball in honour of their father being imprisoned for life!" I hissed.

Mafia people confused me.

"It's not for that." Vinchenzo said as he ran a hand through his soft locks.

"Then what is it for? Her dying a lonely and miserable death because no one could love a hideous monster like her?"

Vinchenzo sighed, "She is looking for an eligible bachelor. One to marry in order to continue the powerful line."

"She needs heirs?" I joked.

"Precisely." He confirmed, and what sucked is that he was perfectly serious.

My jaw dropped, "So why are you attending? Your wife-to-be is standing right here in front of you."

"Father wants me to."

"So now you bow down to whatever papa wants? Is he your boss? Does he command you?" 

I was well aware that the questions I asked would hit him where it hurt.

Vinchenzo clenched his fist, "I am doing it for my sister. My blood. She could be in danger."

"I am coming with." I stated, "What time does this start?" 

Vinchenzo shook his head, "It is only for eligible bachelors only."

"Do you have some loose screws in your brain? I said that I am coming with you and that's final. No discussion and no objections."

"But she can't know we are together."

"That is fine by me," I said and began getting ready.

There was no chance that I was going to stay behind and allow my thoughts to taunt and traumatize me. There was also no way Eliza would be allowed anywhere near my man whether she knew he was my man or not.