Chapter 19 - Touring Sicily

When I was a young girl, I had a fascination with Italy and the small island off the coast, Sicily. It was a dream come true for me to be touring around the breathtaking island. Never once in a million years had I ever considered the possibility of visiting Italy or Sicily or even the fact of being betrothed to a very prominent local. 

"We will first have a look at the valley of temples," Vinchenzo said as we hopped into his car and he began reversing so that we could exit the massive estate. 

"Do you know the history behind them?"

He nodded, "Ironically the temples were built by the Greeks, not the Sicilians."

"Seriously?" I asked with a giggle.

"Yes. Originally it was Akragas and was founded by the Greeks in roundabout 580 BC. It has a background in Greek mythology. However, it has been renamed to Agrigento." Vinchenzo said.

"That is so interesting," I said and Vinchenzo chuckled.

"According to the Greeks, the region was the home of Goddess Persephone who was believed to of have protected Agrigento. Daedalus is thought to have found Agrigento after making his fatal journey from Crete, where his son Icarus perished after flying too near to the sun and melting the wax on his wings. According to certain versions of the narrative, the Valley of the Temples, just outside the city of Agrigento, was the famed landing spot used by Daedalus. In front of the Temple of Concordia, the site's best-preserved temple, a sculpture depicting Icarus' tragic demise lies on the ground. During that time Sicily was actually dominated by the Phoenicians, Greeks, Elymians, and the Sicani."  

"That is crazy," I commented.

Vinchenzo grinned, "Indeed."

"So that's where we are headed now?" 

"Yes." He said as he slipped on his sunglasses and we sped down the road.

The drive was long but I was not complaining. It allowed me to truly take in the incomparable beauty of Sicily. The nature here was rich in color and beauty and surrounded a lot of places. 

"There aren't many cars on the road,"  I commented.

"It is easier and cheaper to take the train to get around." Vinchenzo said, "If you want to drive in Italy you need to have sharp reflexes and be conscious all of the time. The driving in that area is crazy." 

"Woah." I gasped, "The train thing is really nice. It helps to reduce the overall carbon footprint in Sicily." 

"That is true."

When we finally made it to the tourist attraction, the Valley of Temples, Vinchenzo got out and helped me out of the car. He bought both of us the entrance tickets and we both headed inside. The person that had processed our tickets had also handed us a map and I felt as giddy as a child.

"I am so excited!" I grinned as I looked around at all the trees and beautiful scenery that was around.

"Me too." Vinchenzo smiled as he took the map and we began our tour.

All of the temples were a sight to behold. Each and every single one was more magnificent than the last. We had gone through each of the six temples and now stood at the final one.

"We have been walking for so long. I am exhausted." I laughed as I looked at my watch to check the time.

Six hours had already passed. Time had flown by, and I hadn't felt it.

Vinchenzo nodded in agreement as he too looked at his golden Rolex that resided on his left arm. I smiled as I looked at him, he was effortlessly handsome. Despite having walked for six hours, he looked as though he had just stepped out of an Abercrombie and Finch photo shoot. My looks paled in comparison to him. I was a hot mess; my hair had frizzed up and I probably had some sweat on my forehead.

"We can take a break to have something to eat or we can finish this last one and then head out?" Vinchenzo suggested as he smiled at me.

I debated the two options. I was tired but not too tired, meaning that I could finish the final temple and we could leave the site. It was nearing six in the evening, and I realised that the longer we waited the darker the sky would get, and then the photos would not look as good.

I was not one of those people who took photos of everything but I really wanted to get as many photos here so that I could have something to remember. 

"Let us finish this one then we can head out," I said.

"Perfect with me Red." He grinned as he held out a hand for me to grab which I did.

Vinchenzo pointed out important statues and monuments. He spoke so passionately about each and every single thing that he brought out. I could see that history was something he liked learning about.

I could not stop myself as I began to imagine Vinchenzo dressed up in semi-casual attire getting ready to go to his job – a history teacher at a local high school. I saw myself sitting in a kitchen with two small kids handing out lunch bags. For some reason my heart ached for that, I wished that what I had imagined was true. No more mafia meant no more stress, no more fear, and no more worries of what was to come. It could mean that we could live peacefully in some suburbs and have normal people feuds with our normal neighbours. We could raise our children without the fear of them being taken away all too soon from us.

It was at that moment that it hit me.

All this time I knew that something was amiss with me. I had never known what it was. Dr. Felicity had not been able to coax it out of me. However, at this very moment, I realised that I was not missing anything. I, in fact, wanted to get rid of something. I knew it was not going to be easy, or simple by any means but it is worth a shot.

I wanted Vinchenzo Vitali to quit his role as the leader of the Vitali mafia.  

Hey Reddies! 

Happy Friday! I hope you all have enjoyed the chapter! 

If you guys enjoyed this chapter please consider voting and leaving your thoughts in the comment section! 

P.S. I'll be updating another chapter on Tuesday! So stay tuned for that one :)

Xoxo

Perla