CHAPTER 15

"WHAT THE HECK DID YOU GUYS DO?!" Alby shouted and Minho and I both shot up and got to our feet remembering we were on top of a picnic table tower.

"Morning!" I called back in a condescending tone as I rubbed the tired out of my eyes.

"When did you do this?" Newt asked as he also came over to our tower.

"We did it last night." Minho answered sarcastically.

"Get down you've got running to do." Alby said then walked away.

We quickly climbed down from the tower and saw that the other gladers were eating on the ground and giving us dirty looks. We went and got our food from frypan and climbed back up the side of the tower to eat.

"You ready to get back to runnin'?" He asked before shoveling some food in his mouth.

"Sure." I said but my mouth was full so it came out muffled slightly.

"I'm ready." He said as he scooted closer to me.

"We all know why." I said teasingly as I moved closer to him then backed away again.

"Do you want me to cut the vines or take notes in the front?" I asked as I watched him shove even more food in his mouth.

"I'll let you cut the vines." He said after he swallowed.

"Great. I'm gonna go see chuck then I'll meet you at the door. We're gonna need to change into our running gear too." I said as I got to my feet and began descending the tower.

"Good that." He called to me and I waved him goodbye.

I went to frypan and gave him my empty dish then went to the homestead. Once I got to my room I changed into leggings and I lose white t-shirt. I walked out with my vest in hand. I would put it on later but for now I was just going to carry it with me. I already had my shoes on so all I had to do was talk to chuck, pack my lunch, and then I could  head out.

I went back to the kitchens to find chuck when I saw him getting poked around by some other gladers. I rushed over quickly to fix this.

"Hey! Don't mess with chuck or your messing with me and you learned your lesson last time you messed with a greenie." I said threateningly as I shoved everyone off of chuck.

"Why are you so protective of him anyway?" One of them asked as they got up to leave.

"Because he needs a friend now if chuck tells me you were messing with him while I was gone you'll be seeing my fist then the slammer." I said and they all left.

"Thanks." He said quietly.

"I've got your back kiddo, just give me the word and they'll all be on the ground cryin' like babies." I said and pat him on the back briefly before I left to make my lunch.

When I entered the kitchen newt and frypan were talking but soon stoped when I started grabbing ingredients to make myself a pack lunch.

"Hey Margo?" Newt asked and I turned around while I spread peanut butter on a slice of bread.

"What's up?" I replied as I mindlessly spread the peanut butter and gave newt my full attention.

"How are you feeling, it's supposed to be...well, you know." He said hesitantly.

"I can handle myself newt. I don't need you breathing down my neck about that." I said as I turned back around and rolled my eyes so he couldn't see.

"M'kay." He said then didn't say another word. He was being more distant than he usually was, especially around me.