CHAPTER 8

"six days twenty-three hours and thirty minutes." I said out loud as I stared at the watch on my wrist.

Minho had given me a runners watch a few days ago to keep track of time. He said I would be getting one anyway so he just gave it to me early. I had started a stop watch on it so I would know when I would be freed.

"Thirty more minutes." I said out loud again. Minho said he wasn't running the maze today so he could be here to help me get runner supplies and make up for lost time.

I had been here for two and a half weeks and had spent pretty much all of it either unconscious or in the slammer. That and I still managed to have authority around here which for the record still confuses me.

The box hole had come up this morning and everyone was getting all the new supplies out all morning. I laid back on the cold ground of the slammer and closed my eyes. It was a hot day as usual and it didn't help that I was in seven day old clothes and hadn't showered at all in that time.

I started to sing to keep myself company and eventually I lost all sense of my surroundings as I fell into the melody. I didn't know where I learned the song but I remembered every lyric.

"We live in cities you'll never see on-screen
Not very pretty but we sure know how to run things
Livin' in ruins of a palace within my dreams
And you know we're on each other's team"
I sang as I clapped to the beat and banged my foot on the metal wall to act as a drum.

"Quit makin' such a ruckus in there!" Gally shouted at me as he was repairing something on the homestead wall right next to the slammer.

"let me out!" I screamed back at him then kicked the wall harder.

"Shut up." He said as his face came into view from the window in the slammer.

"Tellin' me to shut up is only gonna make me wanna be louder." I said back.

"Be quiet or I'll personally get you stuck in here for another week." He snarled.

"Nobody is going to take you seriously eyebrows." I said smartly.

"And why is that you little smart Alec." He asked as he leaned on the rickety jail.

"Because of your eyebrows." I said as I gave him a sad look that was full of sarcasm.

"What's wrong with my eyebrows?" He asked.

"Nothing, they're perfect now let me get a closer look." I requested.

Gally poked his head trough the window and he got a punch straight in the face courtesy of my lovely fist.

"Stop getting distracted and get back to work you shuck faced idiot." I said as I slouched back against the wall and faced the door to the outside world. I felt a kick to the side of the slammer and I couldn't help but laugh as I heard grunting. "I don't think kicking something is an adequate solution to repairing something." I called out to him.

"Will you please just shut up." He said in a more respectful tone.

"Oh my the eyebrow master has manners? What I sight to behold. I will cherish this memory till you give me a reason to hate you again." I said sarcastically as I waved my arms with animated gestures though nobody was watching.

"That's it I'm getting newt to let you out." He finally said and I did a little victory dance before I saw Minho reveal himself from the opposite side of the slammer where gally couldn't see himself. He was laughing as he pulled out a set of keys and began unlocking.

"It's time." He said excitedly as he opened the door and stepped aside for me to exit.

"Oh how captivity has famished me. Oh how the sun blinds me as I return to my true color from days spent-"