𝐟𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞

𝐣𝐚𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟏

for a while, the chateau was dove's home.

after her father died and her mother fled, big john took her in like she was his own and she absolutely loved living with big john and john b. especially john b.

they played their favorite game, they'd fish together, stole beers, and all other kinds of things. he made her forget about everything that was wrong in her life. he was the only good thing she had and she'd always want to keep it that way.

but then, foster care swooped in and ruined it all for her.

it was a crisp saturday morning. it was never cold in the outer banks, the weather was always beautiful, but it did get chilly and that was one of those chilly days.

dove was on the porch of the chateau reading a book about while john b was down at the marsh, fishing.

a truck pulled up and out came a police officer and a lady with black hair that was in a bun on top of her head.

they walked up to the porch.

"dove tatum?" the woman asked.

dove looked up from the book and at the woman.

"yes, i'm dove." the young blonde replied.

"hi. may i come in?"

dove sat up and nodded.

the woman slowly entered and sat down next to her.

"my name is carol walters. i'm so sorry about your father, sweetheart." she said.

"why are you here?" dove asked.

"well, we couldn't find you after your father died, but we finally tracked you down and...and we're going to take you to a safe home now." she half-smiled.

dove looked from her to the policeman then back to her.

she shook her head. "i want to stay here."

"unless big john routledge is here right now to take you in as your legal guardian, then we can't let you stay."

dove stood up. "i'm staying."

"sweetheart—."

dove ran off of the porch and tried to run away, but the policeman grabbed her and restrained her.

"no! no! john b! john b, help!" she called.

she tried to wiggle out of the policeman's grip but that just caused him to tighten his grip.

"john b!"

she panted and got an idea. she kicked the cop's knee and elbowed him hardly in the stomach.

somehow, this seven year old girl was stronger than this large, round cop, so he dropped her to the ground and she ran over to the bell.

big john used the bell go call john b, and now dove, back to the house.

"bring it home, john b! please!" dove yelled.

"dove!"

dove looked to her right and saw the young boy. he was in a button up beach shirt, a pair of baggy shorts, and had a backwards hat on.

"what's wrong?"

dove looked behind them and saw the policeman and carol standing there.

"don't make this hard, dove." carol said.

the kids stared at the two until john b grabbed dove's hand and they began running.

"we have to run!" john b yelled.

"john b, we're seven, we can't outrun the police!" dove exclaimed.

"have you seen jimmy? he can't run!" john b shouted.

"i don't think his name is jimmy." dove shouted back.

"just keep running!" john b called.

the pair continued running hand-in-hand until sheriff peterkin came out and stood in front of the two.

they stopped abruptly, almost falling.

"dove tatum."

"sheriff peterkin."

dove was fond of sheriff susan peterkin. she was a tough woman, but she made people feel safe, especially dove. dove knew peterkin when she would show up at her house from time to time when she was still with her parents.

"now i know you want to stay with your friend john b here and his father big john, but we have to put you in the system first. and there's a nice family who'll take you in for now. come on, dove. you can trust me. it'll all be alright."

dove looked at john b who shook his at then back at sheriff peterkin.

she let go of john b's hand and he closed his eyes.

"okay."

"good."

peterkin then picked up her radio.

"i've got dove with me. she can come with me."

"copy that."

"alright, dove, are you ready?"

"can i say goodbye to john b first?"

peterkin nodded.

dove turned to john b who was just standing there staring in front of him, blankly.

"bird."

"birdie."

he wrapped his arms around her.

"i'll come see you when i can, okay?" he whispered.

"yeah."

he squeezed her and then they pulled away.

"remember, if you're birdie, i'm bird." he said.

she exhaled. "come and get me soon, bird."

"you bet i'll come and get you soon, birdie." he whispered back.

she half-smiled and he half-smiled back at her.

"you ready?"

she nodded and looked at john b.

he nodded to her and she went to the police truck.

peterkin let her in, then went in herself and drove away, john b still watching.

AUTHORS NOTE
in peterkin we trust

muah,
lea <3