Neteyam - The Quiet Tree

I'd like to think that Neteyam knew who I was. I'd like to think that I catch him looking at me sometimes. I'd like to make myself believe that Neteyam would actually look my way and think of me as a potential lover.

Of course this was all in my head, but the thought felt nice. It was comforting and it made me feel good. I knew the probability of it ever happening were extremely low, but it still felt nice to dream.

To me, Neteyam was the prettiest boy of our clan. He was also the bravest, the strongest, most caring.. or at least, that's what I knew and heard from others. I wish I was brave and strong like him. Maybe if I was, I would see myself as worthy to him.

I don't think I'm special. My mother tells me I am, but I think it's partially because I'm her only child. I want to believe her, I do, but I'm not a good hunter, nor am I a good singer. I don't even want to think I could be a good healer.

Growing up I followed my mother around and learned about plants, animals and our ways of life, but I do not feel like I have been gifted a special skill or ability by Eywa.

Even if I didn't know what role I would be serving in our clan yet, I still enjoyed my time by myself, simply exploring. I wouldn't say I didn't have any friends, more that I preferred quiet. Maybe that made me a stuck up, maybe a loser, I didn't know. I know kids my age did not always feel comfortable around me. I don't think it was my fault, nor was it theirs, I simply did not know how to make conversation with others.

Today was no different. I was by myself, walking around the forest. The quietness of the wind blowing through the leaves and the distinct chattering of Syaksyuk was extremely peaceful. As I was walking along the creek, I found a weirdly shape tree. When I say weirdly shape, I mean that it is curving in ways that I've never seen before. As I approached the tree, i could tell this tree was extremely old. I did not come around here extremely often, maybe I simply never saw it before. I'm glad I noticed it because it is absolutely magnificent up close.

The tree had a curve as if it grew around something. I slowly walked around the tree, observing its beauty. My hand softly brushed against its bark as a small smile formed on my lips. It was beautiful.

I took a small step back and quickly jumped. I climbed a little bit, not too high because I didn't really need to. I sat in the curve of the tree as if it was one giant chair made by nature. This was nice. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, letting all my muscles relax.

As a few minutes go by, I could hear footsteps coming to my right. I opened my eyes and slightly looked down to where the sound was coming from. As I looked around, I couldn't see anything or anyone, and the footsteps had stopped. Slightly confused, I try to focus on any sound that could be suspicious. My mother has warned me that the sky people could sometimes get close to our campsite, but it would be the first time I would see them here.

All I could hear was my breathing and my beating heart as I looked around. There was nothing. No one. I was sure of it. If so, then why did I feel like I needed to be prepared to run?

"You found the scoliosis tree."

I jumped nearly falling of the tree as I turned around to look at the person who's voice it was. My heart threatening to beat out of my chest from how scared I just got.

"You scared me!" I quickly said, my hand on my chest as I caught my breath. A small chuckle could be heard from the quietest person on this planet.

Trying to calm my heartbeat, I realised who was right next to me, sitting on the tree.

"Are you okay?" He asked. Neteyam asked. My eyes met his. His beautiful eyes. Am I okay? Not when he's looking at me with such a kind smile. I couldn't speak. It was as if my voice got stuck in my throat. Why am I so nervous to talk to him.

It's just a boy.

"You're (Y/N), right?" He asked offering me another smile. How did he know my name? He knows who I am?

I slowly nodded my head yes, which seemed to make Neteyam's smile grow a bit bigger. He is honestly mesmerising. How can one boy be so breathtaking?

"Is it the first time you come here?" He asked as he looked up at the few Syaksyuks swinging above us. "I mean in the tree,.. not like around here." He quickly added.

"Yeah.. I thought the tree looked pretty and unique." I finally get something out, my eyes still looking at Neteyam's face. I can even see his freckles when he's next to me like that. He looked back at me and I smiled.

"You're more of the quiet type, are you?" He gently asked, hoping it wasn't offensive. I slowly turned my head to look in front me, and shrugged. "I supposed so.. is that a bad thing?" I asked him.

Growing up people said I didn't talk enough, but I wanted to believe that Neteyam was not rude like them.

"No, no it is not. I can still enjoy your company." He said gently nudging my arm. I looked at him with a warm smile. He returned the smile and we fell into a comfortable silence. Neteyam truly is what everyone said about him.

"I know many spots in the forest similar to this one... where everything is peaceful." I quietly said hoping I wouldn't break the pleasant atmosphere we had created.

"Yeah? Well you'll have to show me, now that you've told me." He quickly responded. I felt a warm feeling in my stomach at the thought of hanging out with Neteyam. Could he truly want to hangout with me?

"I will. Whenever you want, I will show you." I proudly said as my eyes met his. I swear I could look at his eyes all day. Neteyam is just so pretty.

"How about tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow?"

"Yes, that is only if you want to." He said and I could see a switch of emotion in his eyes. Was he embarrassed?

"Tomorrow is absolutely perfect. I would love to." I said with a smile. His eyes relaxed again.

"Alright... good, cool, then tomorrow, we'll go see one of your spot."

———

A/N I hope you enjoyed, it's my first ever story like that and I think it turned out decently well. Please tell me what you thought about it, and if you have any requests, don't be shy to ask :)

It is currently 2am... so it is extremely possible that there are some grammatical errors, I hope not, but yk.