Ao'nung - Infrunami

Whatever i would try to do, it never seemed to be enough for my father. He always appears to be asking for more, more than i can give. Now that i was trying to set boundaries, telling him that i do not want him to choose me a mate, he was telling me how irresponsible i was being.

'Ao'nung, You need to think about the people' He repeats to me every time the subjects come up.

'Ao'nung, why don't you like the suitors we have chosen for you?'

'Ao'nung, you're going to be Olo'eyktan soon, start acting like it.'

'Ao'nung, you never do what you're suppose to, start taking your responsibilities seriously.'

'I'm sick of this recklessness of yours, Ao'nung. You cannot embarrass the family by picking ridiculous fights with our newcomers.'

Ao'nung this... Ao'nung that... I just want him to listen to me. I do take my responsibilities seriously, but i also want to choose someone i like. I don't want to be stuck with someone my whole life simply because they are good for the people. They can still be good for the people even if they're not Tsahik.

He doesn't see me as a son, he sees me as the next Olo'eyktan.

"Ao'nung! Ao'nung, wait!" a voice called after me. It was (Y/N), i could recognize their voice everywhere, anytime. I didn't stop though, I needed time for myself. I needed to get away from the village to be alone.

"Ao'nung! Can you please just stop for a minute!" (Y/N) loudly spoke as they grabbed my arm and pulled me to a stop. My back was facing them, I just wanted to be left alone.

"I heard the conversation with your father... Ao'nung i'm so sorry.. I'm sure if you told him, he would underst-"

"No!" I quickly interrupted them. I turned to look at them, pulling my arm out of their grasp. They looked at me with wide eyes, unfamiliar with the tone i just used with them. "I've told him multiple times. He won't understand because he simply does not care." I continued, frustration filled my voice.

"No, i'm sure that's not true... Your father cares about you, that's why he wants to help you find a mate. You do not seem to want to tell him who you would want... I'm sure he's doing what he thinks is best." (Y/N) softly said as they grabbed one of my hand. I shook my head, they didn't understand. (Y/N) was already promised to someone. At first, Ao'nung thought that they would refuse, that the Na'vi they were promised to would also refuse.

"Even if i did tell him who i would want to be with.." I paused as i looked into (Y/N)'s eyes, trying to find something. A hint that maybe would change everything, but there was nothing. "It wouldn't work. They would not accept." I forced out quietly as i felt my heart sink in my chest. I had never said these words out loud, fearing that it would mean it was true. That if i kept them to myself, there was still a chance that (Y/N) could be mine one day. Now it was out, and real.

"Oh come on now, Ao'nung, anyone would love to be by your side. You just have to tell them and be honest-"

"No stop!" i interrupted them again. "I don't know who you're trying to convince, but it's not me." I loudly said removing my hand from theirs.

"I'm just trying to help you." A pained look formed on their face, but i kept going. As if something had snapped and it was too much.

Everything that had happened the past few weeks, everything my father told me, my unreciprocated feeling for (Y/N). Everything was simply too much for me right now.

"I never asked for your help! I don't want your help! What would you even tell me, huh? You don't understand what is going on. You might have gotten proposed to someone and accepted that, but i don't want to do this. I want to have the choice. And i don't want your little pity telling me that everything is going to be good, that life is all simple and beautiful when it's truly not! So why don't you just leave me alone for once!" I loudly said, my breathing heavier than it was a few minutes ago.

(Y/N)'s look of shock quickly turn into hurt and anger as they glared at me. They opened their mouth, quickly closing it. After a few seconds of silence, they nodded their head. I had gone too far.

"I never pitied you, Ao'nung. I care about you." They spoke frowning.

I quickly shook my head, reaching for their hands. "No, i'm sorry, i shouldn't have said that. None of it is your fault, i shouldn't have taken it out on you."

They took their hand away and when i looked up, their eyes seemed glossy. "There must be some truth to your words... so I'll leave you alone." They responded slowly turning around.

"No.. no please, i didn't mean it." I said hoping to convince them. "No, it's okay Ao'nung, i understand." They said before leaving me standing alone in the sand.

I watched them leave, not knowing how i could be forgiven.

A/N : I know it's short, I'm sorry, it's been in my draft for a little while now and I have a part 2 in my head, I just don't know if I want to write it.