Sinclair |chapter 25|

"It's getting late," Jackylen said, snapping out of her mini drunken state, she sat up but stumbled.

"You can't walk home like this," Steve tries to reason, almost catching her.

"Harrington, I'll be fine. Call me if you get any news about Will."

As she made her way outside, grabbing her katana, the cold rush flowed through her hair. As she walked along the pavement, she heard a car starting to pull up beside her.

"Dotson, get in the car," Steve said, cruising alongside her.

"I might get blood on your seats. No thanks."

"Dotson. Get in the car. Now."

"You can't tell me what to do."

"Okay. Then can you please get your ass in the car?"

"You had alcohol, I don't think it's a very smart choice to be driving right now."

"Do you really have any other option?"

"Yes I do. Walking."

"Look at you," he said, pointing to her whole body, as she walked, she limped a tad with blood all over with her hair not even brushed. Not to mention the katana strapped to her side. "You're in no condition."

"Harrington-"

"Dotson... just get in the damn car." She sighed.

"You're not going to stop are you?"

"Nope." Her eyes became lazier as she headed to the passenger side of the car. She hopped inside and sighed once more, setting the sword on the ground by her feet.

"My house is-"

"Yeah I know where it is. You live across from Nancy." As they drove off into the night, all the two teenagers could hear the roaring of the engine.

Even though Steve didn't drink that much, Jackylen was a little tipsy from the pain. She knew she couldn't feel it all now, but she knew in the morning she would be hit with a nasty hangover and cut that would hurt more than a son of bitch. She didn't plan on telling anyone however just for the sake of keeping quiet.

"You're too quiet," Steve pointed out, glancing over at the girl.

"So?" Jackylen asked, staring out the window of his car.

"Talk. Do something other than staring out the damn window."

"What should I do, huh? Dance and laugh?"

"I don't know... It's just that... we were talking so much at the house and now you're just... quiet."

"I was drunk. I still am. So can we drop it?"

"Is that you about being vulnerable or some shit?" Jackylen stayed silent.

"Dotson, what?"

"Nothing. Forget about it, Harrington."

"Dotson if you're not telling me something-"

"Lots of people don't tell each other everything. I told you something in confidence. It doesn't mean we're all 'buddy-buddy' now."

"It could..." Jackylen tore her eyes away from the window and looked at him, surprised.

"What?" As Steve looked away, the car slowed down.

"This is your stop," he said, rushing his hands through his hair.

"Thanks... for driving me."

"No problem," he slightly studdard.

"Anytime." As Jackylen blanched at the porch, she saw the one single light on. "I can walk you inside."

"No, no," Jackylen quietly denied. "I'm fine I just... need a minute."

"Dotson..." "Harrington... I'm okay. And if I need anything or if you hear about Will..."

"Yeah of course it's just..." he tried to find the right words. He never felt this nervous around anyone. He was smooth with all the ladies. But something about Jackylen just made him lose his words.

"'It's just' what?"

"I just don't think you should be alone... considering what just happened."

"I've learned to be alone for ninety percent of my life. I think I'll survive." Before he could answer, Jackylen grabbed her stuff and got out of the car.

She headed for the door, and grasped onto the sword strapped to her side tightly, making her knuckles turn from a warm cream color to cold pale white. She placed her other hand on the door handle and approached inside. She quickly closed the door behind her, fearing Steve was still outside watching her.

Once she realized it was quiet, for the most part, she let out a sigh she didn't even know she was holding. She set her sword in the umbrella holder near the door and headed for the kitchen. She approached cautiously. She tiptoed around the broken glass on the floor and saw the sight.

Her father was passed out on the table with beer bottles everywhere. That was more than she could have hoped for. She made her way to the fridge where she could have a small sort of snack before doing anything else.

As the cold breeze met her face, the only thing that looked appetizing to her was the can of cherry coke and a lack of raspberry pop tarts that already had one missing. Reluctantly, she took it anyway and headed to the living room, still trying to keep as quiet as possible.

Once she flopped down on the couch, she popped open her soda and turned on the t.v. She turned it down to a low setting, low enough to where I could hear it but not loud enough to where anyone could.

Without even changing the channel, it was already set on the news, a reporter was outside Hawkins General Hospital reporting on a young boy. That boy happened to be William Byers.

The headline read, 'Young Boy Back From The Dead. Officials Have No Clue Where He Was Considering They Pulled His Body From The River'. As the phone rang, Jackylen made her way to it and picked it up.

"Dotson residents."

"Hi," a middle aged woman said on the other line.

"Is this the number for Jackylen Dotson?"

"Yes, this is she. How can I help you?"

"I saw one of your babysitter flyers on the bulletin board of the store. My name is Sue Sinclair. I was hoping you could babysit my oldest Lucas Sinclair. With everything that has happened with the poor boy on the news lately I've been worried." This caught Jackylen's attention.

"Yes of course. As you saw on the flier I can work part time, full time, not including school, and a step in from whatever you need."

"Step in would be great," the woman said, relieved. "Just like the simple things like driving him places, staying with him on occasions."

"Of course. Can you pay my fee of two fifty an hour."

"Yes. My address is 2550 Piney Wood Lane. I'll call you if we need you. And thank you so much."

"Thank you for calling. The line is always open. I will also be getting a pager number so you can email me through that."

"Goodbye Jackylen. Enjoy your night.Talk to you soon."

"Goodbye Mrs. Sinclair."

Jackylen hung up the phone and flopped on the couch in pain and with a smile. First job was with a boy she knew. That made it better.