CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

BECCA GRIMACED AT THE PG-13 SCENE PLAYING ON DANIELLE'S SMALL TELEVISION

BECCA GRIMACED AT THE PG-13 SCENE PLAYING ON DANIELLE'S SMALL TELEVISION. It was movie night after two long shifts. Popcorn sat between them in a metal bowl, crazy straws sticking out of their cans of soda. Dr. Sexy, M.D. played loudly over the television speakers. "It's so gross," Becca commented, her straw still bitten between her molars. "Normal people don't kiss like that. Sex-crazed hormone demons do."

          Danielle barked out a laugh. The over use of tongue did help Becca's point. The wild hand movements did, too, considering they always landed in a less than ideal place. "If an intern got with a doctor here, they'd be crucified," she hummed through a mouthful of chewed up popcorn. The mere idea of hooking up with one of the doctors made her feel dirty. Most of them were married, or divorced with several kids. And while Danny loved kids, she wasn't ready to be a mom -- let alone a step mom.

          "And the nurses are treated like doormats!" Becca exclaimed in mild anger. "We do everything for those assholes, and yet we get treated like candy in one of those Halloween bowls that says just take one please!" Danielle couldn't stop her eyes from rolling. She agreed completely, but the dramatics of it all made her feel silly. It was obvious none of the writers of the show went to medical school, or worked in an actual hospital. But it wasn't supposed to be super realistic. It was supposed to be dramatic. It was television after all, and television was made for entertainment.

          She reached for her drink, neon green plastic swirling from side to side. "Why did you want to watch this if all you're going to do is complain?" she asked, head turning to land her gaze upon her friend. Becca's nose scrunched up, eyes following the scene closely. Almost as if she was unable to look away. "Someone recommended it today while Mrs. Barton was being induced. And Mrs. Barton swore by it," she answered. "She told me it is the best medical drama she's seen since M*A*S*H."

          Danielle barked out a laugh. Trusting an older woman's taste was like playing Russian Roulette. Becca's eyes narrowed into a stern glare. "Alright, laugh it up," she grumbled. Her arms crossed tight over her chest as her mouth fell into a pout. Danny shook her head, but didn't cease her laughter. Before she knew it, Becca was chuckling, too. "Oh, shut up! Just watch the stupid show."

          "Yes, ma'am," she replied. She spared her best friend a smile before leaning into her. Her head rested perfectly on her shoulder, and Becca laid her head against Danielle's. The two fell silent as the commercials began to roll. "Never mind. I need another drink." Her hand fell against Danny's thigh, sighing heavy. "God, yes. Preferably something with alcohol in it."

          She sat up, allowing Becca to get up from the couch. "Not sure there's an alcohol out there that'll make this show less shit." Danny rolled her eyes. Movie nights probably had to be her favorite time of the week. It was never dull with Becca there and when Courtney made it, it became even better. She wouldn't trade these nights for anything.