CHAPTER FIVE

The room was dark

The room was dark. There was a sharp pain juggling between Danielle's ribs. She wanted to reach and place pressure on the pain to relieve even a small fraction of it, but she found her wrists bound above her. The bed she had been laying on was absent. Her shins grazed against the hard ground. She felt impossibly fatigued. She ran her tongue over her bottom lip, hissing at the sudden pain emitting from her face. "Wakey wakey." An unknown voice echoed off the walls of the dark room that was suddenly illuminated with bright, fluorescent lights. Danielle blinked furiously.

     His fingers wound through her dark, matted hair and he jerked her head upward, a few strands ripping free from their roots. She hissed in immense pain. The man before her looked not one bit familiar. She stared up at him with watery eyes and a fueling anger that warmed her body from within. With every ounce of adrenaline pumping through her, she dampened her mouth before hauling her saliva at him, hitting him square in the face. He seemed unfazed as he dug through his pocket with his free hand to wipe away her spit. "Now that wasn't very nice."

A yelp slipped past her lips as his knuckles came into contact with her already swollen cheek. She bit back a sob as he gripped her by her throat, his meaty fingers clutching tighter. She could feel his fingernails scratch at her olive skin. "Why are you doing this?" she whispered. His thin lips curled into a malicious smile. She felt her spine shiver. "You have something growing inside of you that no one wants alive," he replied. She stared deep into his ice blue eyes. The vein in her forehead has since becomr prominent as she struggled to breathe against his grasp. He slowly began to chuckle at her pained and confused expression.

The deep chuckles began to evolve into an evil laugh relatively similar to cinematic villians she had rarely seen in movies. She bit back her urge to lunge at him. She needed answers, and she knew she wouldn't get them if she was thinking irrationally. "You don't know?" Her eyes had fallen dry from her lack of blinking. "There's a baby in there. A baby that can't live. A baby that could destroy everything." His index finger ran down the length of her throat, down the valley between her breasts, stopping short at the beginning of her swollen abdomen. His palm rested against her bump, a twinkle that worried her in his eyes.

"I suppose its a good thing you're not too far along. Wouldn't be right if this was murder." She gasped at the newfound pain erupting in her abdomen. Her eyes were wide as she stared back at the unfamiliar man. A warm substance began to flow down her leg. "Sorry, love." She glanced down to watch as he continued to plummet that large knife within her gut, blood splashing against his fine clothing and her screams echoing within the empty room.

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓