CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"Don't you want a baby?" Danielle's eyes grazed over Courtney's figure buried within her dark duvet

"Don't you want a baby?" Danielle's eyes grazed over Courtney's figure buried within her dark duvet. Her blonde hair had been pulled up messily after her sudden nausea from her withdrawals. Her porcelain skin was an ashy grey, sweat glistening over the surface. "Of course," the nurse replied sadly, her eyes now staring out the open window. The stars glittered the night sky, staring back at the girl with too much on her plate. "Then what's stopping you?" She inhaled deeply. She knew this was distracting Courtney from the intense temptations for sin. She knew that talking was always her thing. Rebecca straightened in the chair across from the couch, rolling her eyes. "You're prying, Simmons."

Danny turned from the galaxies above them to face her two friends. She held a warm cup of hot chocolate between her sweaty palms. "You never got to meet Trudy, but... she was a tough woman. I left home at fifteen and Trudy wasn't mothering. She was more like..." — "A drill sergeant," Rebecca finished Danny's explanation with a chuckle. "Danny couldn't go anywhere. Even if it was to the library to study. Trudy was a real hassle." Courtney tried to laugh. She wanted to join in on the merry action, but found herself coughing. Her chest felt like it was breaking with the compact. Rebecca was quick to grab the water bottle near her and handed it to their blonde friend. "I don't want to have or raise a baby, and not be everything they deserve..."

"Well, think of me as your baby!" Danny smiled genuinely at the blonde laying on her couch. Courtney shivered despite the sweat growing across her fair skin. She felt like absolute crap. "You do act like a baby," the brunette joked, a pillow soaring through the air at her head. She caught it, a bit of her hot chocolate spilling onto her fingers, but she didn't mind. She laughed wholeheartedly until Courtney broke out into a sinister giggle. Rebecca, who had been sitting across from her, was now limp in the chair. A clean line was cut across her throat, her tanned skin stained a deep, crimson color. Danny gasped in shock, her mug shattering to the ground.

"Miss me?" That haunting voice echoed in Danielle's ears. She turned toward the window just as the glass slammed shut. She screamed out in fear. "Oh, honey. Don't be scared." The covers flew from the couch and Courtney's once stiff body stood from the cushions. Danny felt her chest tighten at the sight. "This isn't real. I'm dreaming." She clenched her fists at her sides, her eyes screwed shut, praying for herself to wake up. "Look what you did to Becca," Courtney demanded in her taunting voice. "Look what you did to me." A warm substance slipped over Danny's feverish skin, making a slight whimper slip past her lips. "It wasn't me... It wasn't." Courtney sneered at the brunette. "Open your eyes, Danny."

Danny refused. "Open your eyes!" The volume of Courtney's voice wasn't what made her eyes shoot open. The feeling of her body teetering backwards and the sound of glass shattering made her brandy eyes open in fright. She slid through the window, the wind whizzing past her body as she plummeted to the ground. Just before she felt the compact, she jostled awake. "No!" she whimpered, shooting upright in bed. Her eyes were wet with tears while her body was glossy with sweat. She was tired of these nightmares.