CHAPTER ELEVEN

Something's wrong

                    Something's wrong. She could feel it in her bones. Her whole body felt like it was burning. She couldn't open her eyes, not by herself. Why did she feel so weak? Her body was limp and nothing she thought to herself helped the feeling return. "Danny," a voice spoke, barely audible within her ringing ears. Her head lolled as the object she was displayed on took a sharp turn. Light began to peek between her struggling eyelids. It was bright. Am I dead?, she thought to herself. "You're gonna be okay." She finally recognized that voice. She wanted to reach out for him. "Sa—" Her eyes suddenly opened, droopy and low. The light above her shadowed the faces hovering above.

"Her eyes! She opened her eyes!" She tried to draw in a shaky breath, fog hitting the mask over her mouth and nose. "Sam," she breathed out, blinking slowly. She felt a strong grip on her hand, confirming her theory. "I'm here. You're going to be okay. They're taking you up to CT." Her eyebrows furrowed. Her tongue darted over her dry lips, where she felt the air being pushed into her mouth by the mask. "I'm— I'm..." She still couldn't move. Her whole body felt numb. Her concussion couldn't have caused all of this. There was no way. "I know. You're okay." She could clearly see his face now, her eyes filling with unshed tears. He smiled down at her, hesitantly brushing her hair back.

She struggled to squeeze his hand that held on so tightly to hers. But when he felt her fingers twitch, he knew. He knew she would be okay. "Looks like our little chat took a lot out of you." She felt her head begin to spin. Her vision began to blur once again, Sam's smiling face changing to worried. "Sam," she spoke gently. Her eyebrows were puckered, her fingers tightening only slightly. "Help... me..." He watched as her eyes slipped closed. The doctors sped up, unsure of what was going wrong with the girl. Her breathing was labored. There was no explanation. "Sir!" Sam was stopped by a nurse as Danielle's gurney was pushed through a pair of double doors. "I need to be with her!" he shouted angrily.

"The best thing you can do is let the doctors do their jobs, okay? They'll help her." He frowned. The nurse was right. He had to calm down. She was going to be okay. She was stronger than she looked. He exhaled harshly before nodding his head. "Let's get you sat down."

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓