030 Heartless

030 !! HEARTLESS

Georgie hops off the bicycle right outside the Glissons' mansion, the pristine bushes off the back of the garden surround her in a taunting aura, demanding why a lowlife like her is setting foot on their privileged grass

She's determined not to go inside, the house and the boy inside suddenly feel too suffocating for her.

After all, he doesn't even know her.

When has he actually taken the time to really look at her? Ask her about how she's getting along? Ask her about her dreams and passions, her interests and hobbies?

Never is the right answer.

For him, her lips and her smile and her eyes and her body, all of it is enough.

He doesn't dare try and infiltrate her mind, never attempts to catch sight of her deepest darkest secrets and that hurts more than life itself.

They have an agreement; they're not friends, they're not lovers.

They're just two distinct people running from their lives, running to each other for a distraction.

And that's all she'll ever be to him - a distraction.

So, why after being hurt - physically and emotionally - for perhaps the millionth time in her life, should she depend on him for anything but diversion?

Even expecting any more of him would be wrong, considering their "deal".

And right now, though she needs desperately to get her mind off life, the last thing she needs is to be wrapped in Rafe Cameron's arms without a promise of true camaraderie.

Hence, Georgie paces the grass covered area towards the back of the house, her phone clutched in her palm and the call continuing to ring for more than a few seconds.

Her face twists into a frown, the thought of him avoiding her again simply seems unsettling.

And yet, the ring continues until it goes straight to voice-mail.