038 Peterkin

038 !! PETERKIN

Pope completely melts down right then and there, losing all his sanity and patience — every single thread of maddening emotions unraveling as the uncertainty and bleak prospects of their future slowly descend on him

He curses and throws stuff around the tiny abandoned garage they sought refuge in as soon as the Cameron plane left the bounds of their eyesight, their angered footsteps hollowing out the silence of the only private space nearby.

It's too much — all of it, down to the very fact that they couldn't keep their gold safe neither could their friend retrieve it.

The police. It must've been something they did, some disturbed action that prevented John B from persuading them that Ward Cameron is a lying, thieving monster.

That rattles their exhausted minds even more, that not even the law can be trusted now.

Ignoring Pope's breakdown and Kiara's constant shouts aimed at JJ demanding for him to stop offering their friend weed as a solution, Georgie steps out into the fresh air fumbling with the cigarette pack in her back pocket.

She plucks one out, cursing when she realises she still hasn't purchased a new lighter after her last one got lost somewhere on the beach on of their designated early summer 'Pogue Days'.

She lingers by the entrance of the garage quietly eyeing the darker skinned boy sighing miserably and settling down on the ground, the three others cautiously looking at him.

"Here you go, chief. A little weed never hurt no one", JJ offers him a joint igniting it for the distressed boy who happily accepts it.

"JJ. You know he doesn't smoke", Kiara mumbles.

JJ shrugs, "Well, maybe not until today".

"Pope", Georgie sighs out earning a head shake.

"I lost my scholarship. Walked out in the middle of the interview. Every . . . . it's gone. It's not gonna happen".

Her mouth goes dry, pain and hurt setting in at the thought of what this means for him — someone who's dedicated all his life to trying his best and attempting to make a good life for himself separate of the madness of everything that comes with being a Pogue in Outer Banks.