042 Detective

042 !! DETECTIVE

"I told her and she rejected me".

Pope settles down on the entry steps of The Wreck beside the half asleep blonde who has her eyes furiously fixated on the screen of her phone.

Her droopy eyelids turn to the boy sat next to her, his face stoic and jaw set in a grimace as he stares at her waiting for a response.

"Told who what?".

He sighs loudly, his gaze faltering and skimming over his dirty vans scraped with mud and whatnot. There's a tiny hole on the top of the shoes, significantly small but visible to the naked eye nonetheless.

His brows pull together when he realises that the last time he bought new shoes was last year for his yearly back to school shopping, he couldn't buy much — since it was a particularly difficult year what with the fashionably new convenience store opening right across the street — and so, the few things he could afford entailed some books, stationery and a pair of shoes.

The state of his worn out shoes had bugged his mother for she'd offered to get him a brand new pair for his seventeenth birthday but he had politely shot down the idea and asked for a set of books instead.

What an odd son I have, Mrs. Heyward had thought while picking out a special Agatha Christie collection in the local bookstore.

Though now a new pair of shoes doesn't exactly seem that bad, he knows he wouldn't trade a chance at owning a carefully curated Detective Poirot collection for anything in the world.

Definitely not stupid shoes when these work just fine.

"I . . . .", Pope inhales deeply, "I told Kiara that I'm in love with her and she rejected me".

His eyes find Georgie's, a frown rests on her features her weary eyes blinking in understanding, a shadow of melancholy passes behind her irises.

"Oh, Pope", she threads her fingers through his, her lips pulling down as a pained expression remains painted over her face.