seventeen.

Keeping secrets was something that June no longer enjoyed. But keeping a big secret from Rafe...this secret being that Singh wanted her  specifically for  something her family had—that wasn't as hard. Keeping the secret from Kie was easy too, because she didn't need to know. Keeping the secret from everyone was something she deemed necessary because this was about her family, her blood, and she figured maybe she didn't need to share everything. June stared up at the ceiling, unable to sleep due to many different things. She was being held captive, she was plotting how to find that medallion, she was feet away from the person she hated most in the world. She couldn't trust herself to sleep by him, knowing that she was in a waking nightmare. Kiara and June were laid in the bed together, and outside the window every few moment a guard would look in, checking to make sure they were all still accounted for.  Kiara had been asleep for about an hour or two now and June didn't know about Rafe, but she did know that she had to go to the bathroom.

She waited about another 30 minutes before her restlessness pushed on her bladder and forced her to get up or suffer the consequences. She did everything in her power to make no noise, because Rafe was a light sleeper, and she knew that tiptoeing around him was her best bet.

Once she made it to the bathroom she closed the door with extreme care, the only sound from it being a tiny gust of wind when she shut it. The lock clicked and she shook her hands out, the tension in her muscles and body begging to be released. She used the bathroom, washing her hands and leaning against the counter stop and then looking up at herself.

It was the first time she had seen herself in a month, and she was slightly surprised by what she saw. She was tanned from the constant sun, something she assumed would probably have bad long term effects on her skin. She noted that she wished she had sunscreen on that island. There were bags under her eyes but not as noticeable as she had expected, and after that nice warm shower she actually looked rather healthy.  She looked down  at the countertop, messing around with the drawers. In one of them she found  a toothbrush, her body flooding with excitement as she looked at it. She  pulled it out of the drawer and opened the package, a tube of toothpaste calling her name.

She brushed her teeth for what felt like hours, her mouth feeling so clean by the end that she figured she would smell like mint for a month. She loved her friends, but that island was rather unforgiving when it came to bad breath. Her skin was smooth and hairless now after that long refreshing shower and she felt herself for the first time in what felt like forever when she looked back up at the mirror. She smiled at herself, examining every inch of it and every bit of her expression. She thought that she looked older, but she couldn't tell if it was her mind playing tricks on her, or if she actually did. She felt older, her eyes dropping to a scar on her neck from Cleo. She looked down at her arm, the scar there from where she had gotten shot. Sometimes when she touched it it was still tender, and it reminded her of how fast everything was transpiring.  Every once in awhile her mind would get foggy and she would get dizzy, something that  she blamed on her multiple concussions. She took this moment to remind herself of everything she had put her body through in the past few months. She promised once she got home that she would give it a break. And book a masseuse.

June let out a few more breaths before she decided on going back to the bed, feeling better now that she had brushed her teeth and used the restroom.  She prepared herself to see Rafe again, the girl opening the door as quietly as possible. However she hadn't been as quiet as expected, because when the door swung fully open, Rafe was standing in front of her, a sleepy expression on but a determined look in his eyes. June was startled, her eyes widening and her body freezing. She opened her mouth to yell but Rafe was quick to panic, jumping forwards and shaking his head, his finger in front of his lips as he tried to think of ways to get her inside the bathroom with him without Kiara knowing.