forty-one.

"Shit." June March instantly sprung into action, her sneakers hitting the floor at lightning speed as she ran towards the nearest immediate exit. The back door she had broken in through was her best bet, June mere inches away from it when she felt a strong tug on the backpack she was wearing. She let out a shout, Leon Hardy pulling her to the ground by her bag. He stood above her and she got a good look at him now, the crazed look in his eyes, the big knife in his hand. She gulped as he dropped to get her with it, a scream leaving her lips as she used her foot to kick him in the wrist. She rolled away as he stabbed into the floorboard, a vicious growl leaving his lips.

She pushed herself up, the girl trying to take off again but being pulled back by the bag again, this time having the straps slide off and the bag crash to the floor. June let out an exasperated cry, reaching for the bag but being hit in the stomach. She fell back, the wind knocked out of her as she hit the floorboards.

"I told you the deal! You think you can just break in here and steal my shit? I don't think so!"  She began to start to crawl away but he grabbed her by the ankles, pulling her hard across the floor towards him. He turned her over, trying to hold her down but she was fighting back too frantically, the fear in her heart guiding her actions. She brought her knee up to hit him in the crotch, the man groaning. However it wasn't enough, the man seething as he looked down at her. Her eyes were wide and frantic as he brought his fist down on her face, June feeling a vicious pain in her face as his knuckles hit her mouth.  Blood immediately pooled in  her mouth and she turned her head, the pain of being punched in the face making her cry out. She reached for the closest thing to her, bringing a snow globe that had slid off the desk up to hit the side of his head. It shattered against his skull, Leon falling off as she immediately pulled herself into a crawl. She used a chair to get herself onto her feet, the man on his knees as he held the side of his head.

June looked at him with a bloodied mouth, spitting blood onto the floor as she walked towards him. Her mind went blank and all she could see was darkness, her eyes on him as she walked around him. She stood behind him, wrapping her arm around his neck and gritting her teeth. She had seen this in movies before, choke them until they pass out. She had had this happen to her, but thinking of Rafe right now would not be ideal.

"You asshole! Break in and steal your shit?! That's literally what you did to me!" He struggled against her grip but ultimately he was stronger, the man using his body weight to take them both to the floor. Her grip faltered and he brought his elbow back, hitting her in the eye. She screamed out again, unable to see out of her right eye. She swung her arms blindly for a moment, her fight or flight now kicking in again. She took her opportunity to run for the bag, reaching for it and grabbing the handle. Her vision slowly started to return, her chest heaving as she pulled the bag into her back.

She didn't know where Leon was, her eyes scanning for any sign of the man that had disappeared. Her mouth was flooding with blood and she kept having to wipe her lips, the pain in her face coming in constant waves.

"You're not taking those pictures!" He came from the right, the knife having returned to his hand as he started towards her. He knocked her to the ground, climbing on top of her and holding the knife above her. June reached up, her hands on his as she tried to push the knife back. However he was much stronger than her, the only thing keeping her in the fight being her insane amount of adrenaline. She yelled out as the knife got closer, the girl trying to find any way to get out of this situation. She shifted their hands, the knife no longer directly over her heart. Her breaths were loud and terrified as he pushed again, the tip of the knife pressing to her shoulder. It hadn't quite pierced her skin yet, June trying to use the same technique she had before where she moved the knife. She pushed with all  her strength, the knife digging into her shoulder and making her cry out. She moved it, the knife cutting a long line across the top of her collarbone, painful cries shooting from her mouth as blood instantly started to pool . Leon looked down at her and she felt the most fear she had ever felt in her entire life, the girl realizing this may really be the end of the line. A thought struck her suddenly and she yelled out,  trying to get him to stop.