Unexpected

He looks at her waiting for her answer as she sits up running her fingers through her hair as she sighs, her brain in overdrive.

"Can you please say something?"

"I don't know what we are Y/N. I'm your professor, I could get fired for starting something with you. I like you but I'm your teacher, I shouldn't be here."

She gets off his bed about to walk away when he sits up slightly grabbing her wrist before letting go as he winces holding his ribs. 

"Please don't go..."

She walks over to him as he looks up at her tearing up.

"We don't have to define what we are yet or ever but Scarlett I'm in love with you. I know I'm a pain in the ass but I-"

She shuts him up by kissing him catching him off guard before his left hand cups her cheek trying to deepen the kiss. 

"I like you Y/N, I know I shouldn't but I do. Just give me time to figure all this out."

"Are you gonna leave?"

"Yeah, I need space and time to figure everything out."

He begins to cry as he looks up at her holding her hand. She wipes his tears as she begins to tear up herself.

"Please."

He rests his forehead against hers as she holds his hand on her cheek.

"I'm sorry..."

She pushes his hand to his chest letting go of him as she walks over picking up her bag ignoring his calls of her name as she walks out of the door, tears falling down her face. 

He continues to scream her name and cry till his voice is hoarse and he cried himself out, falling asleep from the exhaustion. 

The next morning, Lizzie walks into the room seeing Y/N asleep but no sign of Scarlett as a doctor is checking his vitals.

"Where is the other woman that was here?"

"Oh she left last night, he screamed and cried for hours till his voice was hoarse and he fell asleep."

The doctor walks out as Lizzie pulls her phone out as she sits down beside her son stroking his hair. After two rings, Scarlett answers. 

"Where are you?"

"At the school."

"Why? You were meant to be taking care of Y/N."

"He asked me what we are and I just need time and space."

"And what about him?"

"He'll be fine-"

"No he won't! Jesus Christ Scar! I asked you one thing, one fucking thing! And it was not to hurt my son and that is exactly what you did!"

"Lizzie-"

"No. Look Scarlett I love you, you're my best friend so take your space and time to figure things out but do not lead my son on."

She hangs up not leaving time for her to respond. She sighs running her fingers through her hair before looking at his sleeping face. 

"I'm sorry I wasn't here baby."

She moves his hair from his face as he cuddles his penguin close to his chest. She sits back in her chair reading her book. 

He randomly starts gargling in his sleep making her look at him in a panic. She hits the red button by his bed, nurses rush in as she backs away.

"What's happening to him?!"

"Ma'am I need to you to wait outside!"

"That's my son!"

"I know but you need to leave."

One of the nurse take her outside the room as they start feeding a tube down his throat. Lizzie watches from outside unable to help as she watches them frantically rushing around. 

After a few minutes, they turn him onto his side as he vomits into the bucket. They roll him onto his back as they check his airways and his vitals. 

His body starts to violently shake as his mouth starts foaming confusing everyone, the doctor trying to hold him still. 

"Open the doors! We need to get him to the operating room now!"

Two nurses open the doors as they start rushing him through the halls. Lizzie following them confused. 

"What is happening?!"

"We're gonna figure that out Ms. Olsen, please wait in the room."

Lizzie watches as they disappear around the corner as she starts tearing up. She walks back into the room as she calls Robbie.

Robbie arrives and she explains everything that happened through her tears and sobs as he comforts her both waiting on news. 

After a few hours, Y/N is rolled back into the room with a tube down his throat to help him breathe. Lizzie cries as she covers her mouth.

"There were traces of poison in his blood, it was only recently put there."

"Is he gonna be okay?"

"We won't know till he wakes up and-"

"When will that be?"

"Unfortunately, we don't know. We had to put him into a coma to keep him stable. It could be a few days, weeks or months."

Lizzie breaks down crying into Robbie's chest as he rubs her back looking at the doctor.

"Thanks Doc."

"You're welcome."

The doctor walks out as they both look at him, the cops who were at the door were gone to check the footage to see who got into the room between when Scarlett left and Lizzie arrived. 

A few hours later, Captain Mackey and Officer Hiddleston walk in. The couple look up from their son standing up.

"We found out who did it."

He hands Lizzie the tablet, on the screen is the doctor Lizzie spoke to this morning.

"The doctor who was in here when I got here?"

"The only person who came in other than you after the other woman left."

"Do you have a name?"

"Yes. Y/N's father, Ellis Adams. He confessed and told us how him, his wife, Chris and Niall have been working together. They were all involved."

Lizzie's heart broke at the news. His own parents tried to kill him, sure they didn't like their son that much is obvious but to kill him is another thing. 

"We've arrested all of them, Niall and Lara tried to flee but we caught them. We hope he wakes up, he seems like a good kid."

"He is."

The officers nod before leaving the room, both of them sitting down beside him again, Lizzie moving his hair from his face. As they sit in silence she gets an idea turning to her husband.

"Robbie?"

"Yes sweetheart?"

"What do you think about adoption?"

He smiles at his wife looking back at the boy they've considered a son for months. 

"If you mean Y/N, then I'm all for it."

"Of course I mean him."

She chuckles kissing her husband as they both look back at him. They hope he wakes soon because there is a limit of how long he can be left on life support.