Lot's On Your Mind?

Alexis's POV

It was as if the world had a new feeling to it. One that was strange yet welcoming. As I got out of the car a stream of fresh air hit my face, awakening me fully as I walked into the building that I'd be working in for the rest of the day.

I was nervous to say the least. Every time I ran into a teammate, my heartbeat sped up only to go back to normal when I realized it wasn't her. I wasn't supposed to feel this way but as of last night, things changed. No one said they did but it was clear. Yet there was still some doubt that it was only me. What if she still resented me? What if she wanted to be friends? How would I react?

The thoughts and questions kept going over and over in my head. I decided to take a walk out on the pitch before warm ups began, just to clear my head. I had told Gio to let me know when most people were here. My eyes were closed and I was humming to a song my mom had made up for me years ago. It always stopped me from crying and even now it brings me comfort. I was on my 32nd replaying of the song and even added the occasional high notes my dad used to add when he sang it. I was well aware of the person approaching me but as I thought it was Gio I didn't mind it, until the person spoke.

"Lots on your mind?"

The familiar yet strange voice jolted me back to reality. The words and tone of her voice made it clear that the change was mutual. I breathed a sigh of relief as I turned around to face her, knowing that it wouldn't be hostile.

Leah had always had a way of looking simple yet very put together. As I took in her outfit I realized her necklace. It was a simple chain with a gold pendant. She always wore it and I wondered what it was for. It also looked like one Morgan owned years ago. I never placed them together as it might have been a coincidence. Even if it wasn't, I didn't know why she kept it and I wouldn't ask.

"Let's go, practice begins soon." She said as she started to walk back, I was about to answer but she cut me off.

"Hurry up, we both know that you're a very slow walker." She said as a small chuckle escaped her mouth, loud enough for me to hear. I rolled my eyes as it was now like a built in response to Leah. I caught up with her and we walked back to the locker room in mostly silence, now and then talking about the London weather and the upcoming Lionesses camp.

Practice felt shorter than usual today. It was the same time as always but I felt like I could have gone more. Leah and I had some interaction which was more than the usual. It did gain some amused looks from a few members. Beth even made it clear that we needed to have a gossip session after practice was done.

After my ice bath, I went to the locker room to see only a few members there, Beth and Leah included. They were laughing so I decided to just not interrupt their bonding time and clean up my area. By the time Beth noticed me and walked over I was done. Leah followed her slowly, not wanting to be fully in my space, which I didn't mind. We weren't alone and this change would be introduced slowly to everyone.

"Alexis, want me to drive you home?" Beth offered as she smiled from ear to ear.

"So you can pick your watch?" I answered with a little attitude. She immediately picked up what I meant and face palmed herself.

"Mistakes happen my friend." She said as she gestured towards Leah before turning back to me.

"You can drive me home, but are you willing to drive for 2 hours?" I asked, smiling as I saw both girls' faces grow confused.

"I'm visiting my mom." I clarified, causing both girls to nod as if they knew what I meant.

"No practice tomorrow then?" Leah asked and for a second her input into the conversation shocked me. I know we were being civil but it would take a while to get used to her being somewhat nice to me.

"Yes, I'm only spending a couple hours." I said, pausing to grab my bag. "I'll be back by 9."

I left and did a quick stop by my neighbor to pick up Pluto then I was on my way. The journey was smooth and there was barely any traffic. I saw the house I loved more than anything else in the whole world and my mood suddenly hit 100. Getting out of the car, I put Pluto down and he immediately ran towards the door. His little bark seemed to be all that was needed to alert my family that we arrived. My mom opened the door and flung her arms up in the air as she walked towards me.

"My Care bear!" She said as she hugged me tightly. Her hugs reminded me of Beth, death grips.

"Mom, when will you stop calling me that?" I asked, I've had that nickname since I was seven years old.

"When you stop buying teddy bears." She said as she walked away into the living room.

I closed the door and followed her into the room as she sat down and turned on the tv.

"They are a very good investment Mom!" I said as she laughed.

"Okay, okay, I believe you."

We spent the time talking and catching up. I updated her on my break up only giving her only the basic details. She took it easier than expected considering that they were close.

By the time I got home it was 10pm. I didn't have any time to do anything else but take a shower and climb into bed. Tomorrow I had training a little later than usual so I'd be able to get some sleep.