Bring My Mood Down

As one thing is sorted another problem appears. It wasn’t as much of a problem as my mind made it out to be but it was something I needed to think about. The call up for the Lionesses camp was only a week away. The same day as our game against Everton to be exact. If Morgan was there then it would be hell seeing she has been calling me ever since our talk at the restaurant. Adding the fact she wouldn’t know that Leah and I had put our past behind us. Everything would just have to come full circle when the time arrived, which I didn’t want but what can I do?

______________________________

The week flew by quickly. It was filled with practice, Beth at my house and occasionally Leah. She came over once as Beth and Viv had invited her for a game night. I was surprised she showed up but the night was decent and everyone had fun. At training she would target me and throw sarcastic comments my way, just like before but these felt more friendly. She even came over and helped me up when I was down for a while after Katie tackled me. The friendship was becoming a real thing, slowly but surely. We’d have small talks when no one was around. These surprised me the most as she showed me a side I had never experienced before. I felt like I was beginning to get to know her, and I really wanted to.

At last, game day was here. It would be our last as many players were leaving for international competitions with their home teams. It was also the day we’d find out our team for this year’s Arnold Cup Team. 

The game started but it wasn’t one I was stressed about. We had full possession of the ball and within the 23rd minute Beth scored a goal which set our mood for the remaining minutes. Before the half time whistle could go off I managed to score a goal with  the help from McCabe. That gave us a 2-0 lead over Everton as we went into half time. Not much was said during the break, we had everything going our way and we just needed to keep the same tactics. Leah kept sending glances every now and then, something seemed off but as we were about to go back out, I decided it could wait. The game carried on smoothly with both teams creating good chances here and there, yet none managed to become a goal. By the time the final whistle was blown the scores were still 2-0 which meant we won. The Everton girls were lovely and the crowd was amazing. For a moment I forgot all my problems as I stared at the stadium, packed with all different people from all walks of life. 

We had some time left before the list was posted so we decided to go out and get lunch.

"There were cafes near the stadium, you know?" Vivienne said, as Beth turned a corner for the fiftieth time. The car was filled with Me, Jen and Leah in the back seat while Viv was beside Beth in the front. Beth had said she wanted to take us to this new place not too far from the training ground but we've been driving for about 20 minutes now.

"I see it, that little blue shop!" Beth exclaimed as she moved around in excitement.

"I can't see anything with these two sandwiching me. Just get us there before dark."  Jen replied as we all laughed.

We got there and it was the cutest shop I'd ever seen. The food would have to be top tier to make up for the travel time though. It was pretty empty so we got a seat while Beth and Leah went to order. This time Jen took a seat beside Viv as they started playing a game on Viv's phone. As both girls came back with the orders Beth sat in the single seat which meant Leah's seat was beside me. She looked at the seat and hesitated. I saw this but pretended I didn't to avoid an awkward moment.

The time flew by quickly as we talked about different things. Jen kept on telling embarrassing team stories, most of which were about Leah. At many times when I'd want to laugh really loudly, she'd send me a look which always made me keep in the laugh. The fun was soon ended as Beth drew out her phone and announced that the list was posted. 

We agreed that she could call out all the names to see who would be there. 

It felt like she was reading forever as the names rolled off her tongue one by one.

"There's me, and Williamson of course." She paused as a smile formed on her face, "oh look James is here for the first time, how lovely." 

If my name was on the list I'd get to see Lauren play for England for the first time, which would be a dream. She always wanted this and wished we could go together.

"And of course, Alexis Armstrong." Beth  said as she looked at me. I smiled as everyone gave me little claps to celebrate. 

"The rest are the usuals. Unfortunately, no Fran, no Steph and most importantly, no Morgan." Beth said as I released a sigh of relief." But at least Jordan's on the list. She'll be happy."  

Leah sent me a knowing look before patting my hand a couple of times under the table. It wasn't unusual as she's done it before but it never failed to surprise me how caring she could be towards someone she didn't hate.

We spent a little more time there before getting back into the car and driving back to the grounds. I drove home and gave myself a much needed spa night. I talked with my mom as she congratulated me. They were just screams but I learnt to communicate. After that the Chelsea girls texted me through an old gc. It was nice to talk to them again.

Everything was good. I knew I couldn't run away from her forever but for now, this was what I needed. I'd also be seeing some girls I hadn't seen in a while. Lucy, Kiera, Georgia and even Jordan. We've met before but never played together for the Lionesses. 

Tomorrow was my last day here before the camp at St.George's park. I was excited to say the least. Nothing could bring my mood down.

__________________________

"That could bring my mood down." I sighed as I read a message sent by Beth at about 2am this morning.

BETH

ALEX, Jordan had a game yesterday and she was injured.

Guess who they are replacing her with.

I'm gonna cry.

It was clear who it was. I can't have a peaceful life with the girl. Not even a day. The anxiety and pressure that came with being around her had kicked in but I had to get a move on. I packed my bags and made sure I had everything I needed. A driver would come and pick me up later so I didn't need to worry much. Now it was just for me to mentally prepare myself for the days to come.