I Thought About What You Asked

The days flew by with training and then traveling. Our first game was against the Republic of Korea and we had it in the bag. It was a steady game with us leading all the way to end with a score of 5 to 1. Our team was a solid one and we kept proving that with the games we played, winning all and eventually the cup. It was more than a good start to our world cup journey.

Now it was time for us to go back to our everyday lives and clubs. Back to tackling each other on the fields and hugging it out after the game. I was probably the happiest, of course I never showed it but I wanted to be in the comfort of my home again. I was feeling more and more like I was slowly disappearing from the world. Like it was about to open up and swallow me. Very few people had noticed the change in my behavior which I was glad for, as it wasn't something I wanted to talk about. There was one person I really wanted to see that could help me. So, the quicker I went home the quicker I'd be able to fix myself. 

Not to mention how glad I was that Morgan would be far away from me. I tried to forget that we'd be playing against her very soon because it only brought my mood down. No more was I wondering how everything changed so quickly. She had grown to be one of my least favorite people ever. She was always trying to sell this idea that we were friends. So every time we were in the same room she'd bring up some memories as if we were kids remembering our summer. It drove me through the roof, trying not to be rude to her at times. It was especially hard when she threw hints that I was seeing someone, that person being Leah. I don't know what she hoped to gain from that but it was becoming more and more unbearable. 

"Oh Armie, it's back to being enemies eh?"

Millie said as she jumped on my back, almost tackling me.

 "Gone are the days that we went the same way." I said as dramatically as I could.

She pulled me into a tight hug then we went towards the rest of the group to do our rounds of goodbyes.

The goodbyes were short and easy knowing that we'd all see each other again soon. Leah and I decided to travel together as she thought it would be good bonding time. I wasn't up for fun but I knew she wouldn't take no for an answer.  

The car drove out of St. George's Park and Leah breathed a sigh of relief. It didn't go unnoticed by me and I decided to find out what was wrong.

"That's a big sigh. You can't be that sick of us." I joked. She laughed and immediately the mood changed to a happier one.

"No, but I'm glad I get to go back to my regular days."

I nodded but I didn't take my eyes off her for a while. There was something else on her mind and even though I wasn't feeling the brightest, I still needed to know.

The rest of the journey was filled with small jokes and random fun facts about each other. It always brightened my mood when I was around her but this was different. Even though it was for less than an hour or so I still felt like I had no problems. That my depression wasn't taking a toll on me. That I wasn't scared of what would happen. I knew that once she was gone, it would come back, and I wanted to hold on to that last bit of happiness I felt.

"I now believe we're friends." Leah said as she practically threw herself on my couch. I had invited her in so that our 'bonding moment' could last a little longer. "This couch is nicer than I remember."

"I only hope you don't become like Beth. Always here like it's her home."

I placed the cups of water on the table and sat across from her in a single armchair. She looked at me with a worried look but it was quickly replaced with a smile. I tried to shake it off and offered to turn on the tv. Time flew by and by the time we realized it was almost pretty late. I helped put her stuff together and followed her to her car. As she was about to enter her car she turned back to me with a hesitant look on her face.