28- A Seamtress' Song

Bonded in the deep
In chains, dark and dire
One with Honor to keep
And One they would call Liar.

A Daughter of Rao
And a Child of El
May deliver the world
To heaven or to hell.

Theirs is a love, to free or to seize
One flag upon the tallest spire
They do not traverse our mortal seas
But sail upon an Ocean of Fire.

- Ancient Kryptonian Prophecy

----------

Lena frowned at the seamstress in confusion, while Alura started beside her.

"Who is Inah- "

"That is a myth, Anhani. There is no more Inah im Rao."

Wise brown eyes watched the Queen quietly for a long moment.

"Her bond is gold, is it not?"

Lena was surprised to see Alura's response die in her throat. Her eyes narrowed, and she crossed her arms quietly.

The seamstress gently patted the table beside them.

"Your highness... Princess. Perhaps you should change from your dress and sit."

The fire crackling in the hearth beside them was reflecting sharply in Anhani's features, and her voice seemed to lengthen over the vowels as she addressed Lena directly.

"I have a story to tell you of a priestess, a seamstress, and a king that is centuries in the making..."

------------

Thousands of years ago, Kryptonians began worshiping Rao, the god of the sun. They were imbued with powers, and attributed them to his holy light radiating down upon them. It was around this same time that Kryptonians discovered that they could be bound to each other, through the persistent and unbreakable life force. Ancient Kryptonians believed that this life force was a manifestation of Rao and his power.

They began exploring their bonds - how they work, how they interact with each other, what they mean.

There were different colors, different patterns, different combinations. The most common connection to be made was one of matching symbol and color. The color was sometimes different - but this was exceedingly rare.

It was discovered that the bond mark of the House of El was very powerful, as the platinum color and symbol always overtook others. The family of El were soon chosen to lead, and have benevolently done so for many centuries.

One day, however, a bond was made - and a woman's mark, while matching her partner's in symbol, was a different color.

It was brilliant and gold - the first that had ever been seen.

The Kingdom of Krypton found that she was incredibly strong of spirit and mind, and it was declared that she was indeed Inah im Rao herself - the Daughter of Rao.

She was capable of wielding great influence over those around her.

She was named a Priestess of Rao, and she held great respect and authority within the Kingdom. Her opinion carried great weight, and she was as wise as she was revered.