Chapter 12

Amber Chamberlin

A full day of classes had passed and James had not turned up to one of them. Cassie had also said that Kieran hadn't turned up to any of his lessons in the day either. However, at that moment I was more worried about James. Why did he have to clear his head over what he had saw? I was very confused and I needed answers quickly.

"Is James still not back yet?" I asked Tanner as he took the seat beside me in the common room that evening.

"No Amber we haven't seen him, but don't worry so much. He's okay." Tanner nudged my arm with his own and rolled his eyes at me.

"I don't get why he had to clear his head Tanner?" I asked him.

"Then you are very blind Amber Chamberlin." Tanner rolled his eyes and looked at me, amused.

"Tanner!" I cried, slapping his arm and looking at him helplessly.

"I can't tell you anything Amber, it's not my place to tell." Tanner shrugged with a chuckle.

"Tell her what?" James suddenly wandered over and sat at my feet.

"About why you've been missing all day Potter! You had us worried sick!" I cried, slapping him on the back of the head.

"I'm sorry! I just had to clear my head!" He cried, holding his hand's up in innocence.

"From what? You need to tell me what's going on with you James I'm so confused!" I told him, sitting back in my seat and sighing.

"I can't Amber, not just yet. Where's your boyfriend?" He asked me, saying the word 'boyfriend' rather bitterly.

"Boyfriend? What are you talking about? I don't have one." I looked at him I'm confusion.

"You don't?" He turned to face me properly, furrowing his eyebrows.

"No! If you're on about what happened with Kieran then you're wrong." I sighed and looked down at my feet.

"What happened?" James asked, leaning against my legs and looking at me so that I would continue.

"I'm just going to...." Tanner trailed off and darted up the stairs that led to the boys dormitory. James shrugged and took Tanner's seat, gesturing for me to continue.

"Well, as you probably already know, Kieran told me he liked me the other day. Today I saw him dart through here so I followed him. He looked upset so we talked for a while. I told him that I didn't feel the same way about him, which made me feel immensely guilty. So I kissed him to try and help him get over me. He said it would take time and that we should stay away from each other for a while." I explained what had happened to James.

"So that's why you kissed him?" James asked me, looking a little relieved for some unknown reason.

"Yes that's why. I just don't feel that way about him, he's my best friend." I shrugged.

"It'll be okay, he'll come around soon." James told me with a small smile.

"I hope so." I sighed again, looking down at my feet.

"Why do you think that you don't feel that way about him Amber?" James asked me, suddenly looking intrigued.

"I don't know, maybe it's because he's my best friend. I get this voice at the back of my head that just tells me that he's not the person that I want to be with, I don't return his feelings." I replied honestly.

"Does that voice tell you who you do want to be with?" James asked. The voice at the back of my head was saying 'yes you' but I ignored it. Of course I didn't want to be with James Potter! No way! It was never happening.