Chapter 39

James Potter

I unlocked the door and dropped my bags down with a content sigh. It was so good to finally be home after nearly a month away. I loved being an Auror but sometimes it was tiring. 

We had been sent to follow a lead on Death Eaters that an anonymous member of the public had given to the Ministry but so far we had nothing. We knew they were still out there after what happened years ago with my family, but who knew when they would target. It was all a guessing game that nobody on the good side wanted to play.

"Amber?!" I called, searching for any signs of life in our apartment. I opened the door to our room to find the bed neatly made and the room in it's usual clean and tidy state. Living with Amber meant that she made sure that everything was tidy. If I lived on my own, the apartment would be an absolute mess.

I sighed and walked back into the living room area and through to the kitchen to search for any food. I was surprised to find that there was actually food in the Kitchen because that was usually my job in the house. Amber barely had time to go anywhere other than work so I always did the shopping for things that we needed.

"JAMES POTTER!" I jumped and dropped the mug I was holding, cursing when it hit the floor and smashed into tiny pieces.

"Tanner! This is someone's house you know! You can't just walk in unexpectedly." I cried, grabbing my wand and fixing the mug quickly so that Amber wouldn't know that I broke yet another thing in our apartment.

"Actually it's an apartment."  Tanner replied matter-of-factly, walking into the Kitchen and sitting down on the chair that was perched next to the island in the middle of the kitchen.

"Don't correct me in my own home." I told him, rolling my eyes at his sarcasm.

"Chamberlin sent me and Kyle to come and see you before she got home from work because she didn't want you to be at home on your own on your first day back." Tanner shrugged, grabbing a biscuit from the barrel.

"She would." I rolled my eyes and laughed slightly. Typical Amber wanting to care for everyone but herself.

"Don't know where Kyle is actually." Tanner said.

"Probably lost somewhere" I shrugged "How's she been?"

"Mate, you shouldn't worry about her you know, she's so strong and obviously she's been working hard whilst you've been away because she hates sitting in on her own." Tanner told me.

"I know, I hate being away for that long." I sighed.

"She gets it though, you both have demanding jobs."

"Hopefully things will calm down soon." I smiled a little.

"I'm sure they will." Tanner smiled in return.

If things didn't calm down, who knew where we'd end up?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"James Potter! Just the god son I've been dying to see!" My Aunt Taylor cried as she threw open the door.

"Hi Aunt Taylor." I laughed, detaching my hand from Amber's to hug my Aunt.

"And Amber! It's so nice to see you, come in." She smiled, pulling Amber in for a hug as she stepped forward.

"Hi Taylor, it's nice to see you too." She laughed a little, following me through the door as we made our way into the living room where everyone was sat.

It seemed that Aunt Taylor had decided to invite the whole family. Mum and Dad were sat talking to Grandma and Grandpa in the corner whilst Lily and Al were sat with Lottie, Kyle and his new girlfriend Jenna Bell. Uncle George, Uncle Charlie, Uncle Percy, Uncle Bill, Uncle Mattie and Uncle Ron were all standing by the Kitchen door laughing whilst Aunt Angelina, Aunt Audrey, Aunt Fleur and Aunt Hermione were all sat with Laura who had baby Caitlen in her arms. Teddy, Olly and Victoire were all stood talking quietly whilst Dominique, Roxie, Molly, Lucy, Louis and Hugo were all sat around a Wizards Chess Board on the floor. It was a very full sitting room.