Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Ani," I hear a whisper in my ear and yawn. "Wake up, girl."

I probably was dreaming. In this dream, Michael asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes.

But if it was just a dream, why do I remember it being so vivid? I never dream vividly. In fact, I hardly ever dream at night about anything.

I sigh and groan, disappointed to be waken from the sweet sleep I was enjoying, when my shoulder is shaken gently.

"No," I grumble as I turn around. "Not yet."

"Aniko, are you going to deny me of seeing those beautiful green eyes open up and stare up at me?"

My heart leaps and summersaults in my chest. I know that voice from anywhere on earth.

Now I really need to know what happened. How are we together? I thought I was dreaming. Or was what happened real?

I guess the only way to find out is if I open my eyes.

My eyelids part and sure enough, I see Michael staring down at me. I rub my eyes and slowly sit up, realizing that my dream wasn't actually a dream.

This is real life.

I'm his girl.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Michael asks me curiously.

I stretch my stuff arms above my head and yawn loudly.

"I fell asleep?"

He nods in response. "Yes. We both did."

"What happened before then?"

His face breaks into a toothy grin. "You made me the happiest person in the world, Ani."

My thoughts are confirmed. It's true. We're together. I fight back the upcoming squeal of excitement and disguise it as a cough.

Michael's grin becomes brighter, obviously knowing, as I look around.

It's dark outside. Extremely dark. The only reason I can see Michael is because of the streetlight, dimly lit a couple of feet away.

The stars are still twinkling above us, glorious and grand, and the trees' leaves ruffling in the light night wind.

"We're in your backyard," I declare.

Michael nods. "That we are. We should really get you home, though. It's 1:30 in the morning."

"Shit! Michael," I hiss, agitated. It's 1:30 in the morning? Oh, my God. I told Mom that I wouldn't be here for long. It's been over five hours.

I quickly stand up, but a little too quickly, because I feel a dizziness in my head.

"Are you okay?" Michael asks me.

I nearly melt at the sound of his voice. He has so much care and affection. Is this what young love is? Is it really?

"I'm fine, I just... I have to get home now," I stress.

"Relax, I'll get you home. I promise," He kisses my forehead gently and stands up next to me.

I give him my hand and we start walking to the front yard. Suddenly, the porch lights flip on.

Michael freezes and I look upon his face. It's like his worst nightmare has been confirmed.

"Michael, what..." I start but he quickly shushes me and pulls me to the side of the house, crouching below the window.

"It's my parents," he breathes. "They're back home."