Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"If tears are what I have to cry to get to you, then I'll cry a river."

~

November 21, 1974

I guess we'd been living in our own fantasy land.

We didn't want to admit it.

I just didn't want to completely accept the megastar that Michael is.

I want him all to myself.

Call me selfish, but it is something I cannot help.

Of course, throughout the school year, there were some times where Michael left briefly to be who he was. A star.

Whether it was a photoshoot, an interview, or a performance on live television.

There never really was a complete break from music for him and his brothers. Michael did not complain about it, because of the deep-seeded love he has for music. But it was a contrast from what Joseph said they were returning to Gary for.

If they were going to keep working, I wonder why they moved from Encino. Maybe because of homesickness.

Michael has also been recording his next solo album, entitled Forever Michael.

Every time I'm with him, he's always humming a new melody or idea that his songwriters have come up with. He wants this solo album to be the best one he's ever done.

Now I sit on the floor, hugging my legs to my chest, in one corner of his bedroom. I watch his movements as he pulls shirts and pants from his closet hangers, tossing them into a navy blue suitcase. Each moment, my heart sinks deeper into my stomach.

Fame was ripping him from my loving clutches.

He stops to take a look at me. "Oh come on, Ani. Would you stop looking like that? You know I'm not leaving forever."

I look down and play with the frayed end of my patterned long sleeve top.

"I know. But you know you aren't going to stay here forever either. Don't you get it? This could be a domino effect. I'm scared of this Michael. Once your fans see you, they're going to want to see you more and more often. And then..."

"Hey, don't get ahead of yourself now. I'll be in Vegas for a week, then I'm all yours again." He assures.

"But it could-"

"Don't make it harder than it needs to be. Please, baby."

I nod and he lowers himself down to me. Then his lips find mine delicately, like a butterfly's landing. I wrap my arms around his neck, not wanting his aura to ever leave my presence.

He disconnects our still pleading lips before straightening himself up to continue packing.

How am I supposed to keep myself busy? Track season is over, and Cera is also leaving to Chicago for the Thanksgiving holiday.

I guess I could call Regina, but she's not really much of a friend.

I bite the side of my lip. "Can I come with y'all?"

Michael looks at me. "Well I don't really know. I'd have to ask Joseph."

I throw my head into my hands, already knowing what the answer will be.

I feel a peck on my cheek. "Well, it's worth a try," he adds, then leaves the room.

I wait about five minutes before hearing, "Absolutely not!"