Chapter 19

Chapter 19

May 9, 1975

Cera helps zip up the back of my dress, and when she does I take a step back from the mirror to get a better look at myself.

"Ani, you look like an angel," She sighs.

I glance at my peach colored dress and white strapped heels. I let my fingers run along my mother's favorite diamond necklace, staring at the glittering earrings hanging low from my ears.

As for my hair, a thin braid wrapped around my head while the rest of my locks hung low below my shoulders.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I feel beautiful.

She grins. "I'm glad that you didn't wear my mom's dress. You would have looked ridiculous."

I perch on my bed next to her, toying with my bracelet in thought.

"You don't think I made the wrong choice, do you?" I ask softly.

Cer furrows her brows. "What choice?"

"You know, going to prom with Collin."

She takes a pause before answering. "There's nothing you can do now. He should be picking you up in like, fifteen minutes."

I sigh. "I know, but..."

"The point is, there's no point in regretting your choice. If you're talking about Michael, according to you, that ship has sailed."

I wince at her words, the pain still feeling fresh. "I don't want to believe it."

She glances at me. "Oh? How long has it been since that phone call?"

"Six months," I close my eyes momentarily, hanging my head.

It's unreal. This is someone who I would spend almost every day with. And now, we've gone a little over six months without any contact whatsoever.

A knock on the door confirmed that Cera was wrong. Collin has arrived even earlier than projected.

I get up and grab my purse from my vanity.

"Wait, Ani."

"What?" I ask as I take one more look in the mirror.

"Try to have fun. Be nice? Collin has liked you for years. He really has. This is probably a dream come true for him. You can help him remember this night for a long time." She pleads.

I twist my lips to the side. "I told him we're going as friends. He shouldn't be expecting much," I reply.

She shrugs. "He still might have a little hope. You can't blame a guy for dreaming."

"God, you're making me feel bad," I groan as the doorbell rings.

"C'mon. You need to go and I need to start getting ready," Cera grabs my wrist and pulls me down the stairs.

"Why do you always have to be fashionably late?"

"I've got to make some sort of entrance, I am in the running for prom queen after all," She says.

"You've got that in the bag, girl," I encourage her.

I stand in front of the door for a moment, collecting myself before pushing it open.

Collin stands there, and when he sees me, his eyes almost pop out of his head.

"Wow. You look great," He breathes.

"You too," I compliment with a small smile.

"Oh! Almost forgot."

Collin takes out a corsage and puts it on my left wrist. I take the white flower and pin it to his suit front.