Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Why can't I just call him? It's been a week and a half!" I exclaim, frustratedly standing next to the landline in the hallway.

"Who do you think you are, raising your voice at me? Do you pay the phone bill?" My father snaps at me.

"God!" I mutter, annoyed beyond belief.

I was getting worried. Michael and his brothers should have been back home four days ago. But I hadn't received not one call from them. What was going on?

I'm about to angrily go up to my bedroom when my mother catches my forearm.

She leans into my ear and says, "Go to the den. There's a vintage dial phone. You're father thinks it's just an antique. You can have it."

"Thank you," I smile gratefully and change directions, almost running to the den.

I have to know what's going on with Michael. I just hope everything's alright.

I scope out the den and my eyes land on the yellow phone. I quickly grab it, dialing the number Michael gave me before he left on the way to my room.

The phone rings up to six times and I'm laying on my bed before somebody finally picks it up.

"Hello?"

It's a female voice. I know that I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but my heart takes a hit.

Is there someone else to keep him busy? Someone close enough to him to answer his personal phone? I don't know what to think.

Pushing aside my pain and confusion, I force myself to end the awkward phone silence.

"Um, hi. I just wanted to speak to Michael Jackson."

"He's not available right now. He and his brothers are rehearsing at the moment. May I take a message?"

"Just tell him that Aniko called, please." I say.

"Sure. Goodbye know," and the phone clicks off.

I hang the phone up and grab a pillow, screaming into it. In an attempt to release all my feelings bottled up inside.

Could he have known that he'd be away for longer than one week? Now that I think back, he did pack quite a lot of clothes.

Whatever the case may be, I just want him here. Holding me.

I need him like a compass. Like a knife. Like a lit match in the darkness.

I lay there and close my eyes until my mind absorbs the rest of my being.

-

I spend the Thanksgiving break volunteering in the children's hospital and helping out in my father's church.

I just returned from the hospital back home. Of course, they all wanted to see Michael again.

I spent so much time there, that they'd offered me a job, which I accepted. They give me happiness, and help take my mind off of Michael's absence.

I feel annoyance, realizing that tomorrow is school once again. I'd rather stay in that hospital. Those kids are inspiring.

I learned that Sophie, the girl gave me the advice to marry Michael, has a terminal illness, anemia. The medical director told me she has nine months to live, at the most. But she's a six-year-old warrior.

I lock my mom's blue Mini, making sure it had enough gas for her to go work tomorrow.

I step inside the house and lock the door before walking straight to the flight of stairs. I hear a small sound. I frown and listen again.