150. My Awkward Moment

When I arrived at work, my thoughts were only on the job. On some media junk that I needed to get to go viral. It was an impossible job, I was sure. But having seen a rough cut of Striker, I could see the sense behind the apparently random requests from Calughton. If the movie was referencing memes that were going around just a couple of months before its release, that would really generate a positive buzz among the online reviewers. And somebody in the company thought that deliberately seeding viral videos with some lines that were in the script could be a good idea.

At least it was better than worrying about Tess. She was accepting being a baby now, so I didn't need to worry so much. But a few days ago, when she had confessed that she was seeing Dr Lutwa at Pine Ridge, that had made me worry more than ever. Ffrances hadn't said anything; but I'd found a little time before Tess left the house to remind her that she might have an accident if she told the doctor about what had happened on our little movie night. And since then, she'd only been silent with me, not wanting to talk. I was sure that Ffrance now was convinced that Tess's problem was of her own making, and it wouldn't be long until both of our little girls accepted the roles that I knew were right for them. But this close to a complete victory, I somehow found myself feeling bad about everything I'd done for them. I'd given them what they needed, but it still felt wrong. What part of my subconscious thought that guilt was an appropriate response here? So it was a relief to get into the office knowing that there was nothing in my day more controversial than wrangling the social media team.

I came into the office, and everything at home vanished from my mind. There was somebody sitting in the little cubicle that served as my office. I barely noticed Mercer's greeting as I walked in, or Carter's too-informal "Hey Gabby, you got an informal meeting now. Nothing you've done wrong, don't worry." I was only thinking about the legs I could see sticking out from my chair. And then I got to the office, and recognised why my subconscious was showing such alarm.

"Good morning, Gabby," said Bracewell with a smile. My boss's boss, the woman in charge of all staff in Upper Ashfields, wanted to see me again. And after the seriousness of our previous conversations, or even just the terror that her name inspired in every employee here, I knew that it wouldn't be about anything easy.

I took a deep breath, and tried to work out what the problem could possibly be as I returned to my usual space behind my desk. A minute later, Bracewell was sitting on the small chair in front of me, but somehow it was still clear that she was in charge. Maybe it was the fact that she had a takeout carton from one of the local fast food places in her hands, an early brunch perhaps, and was unconcernedly nibbling at turkey dinosaurs while she waited for me to be ready for her. Or maybe it was just because she didn't seem at all concerned, confidence radiating off her. There was no way anybody could ever doubt that she was in charge; the same kind of natural dominance that had first drawn me to Ffrances. I didn't think she would be into any kind of D/s relationship stuff, she was way too staid and conservative for that, but it was clear that Bracewell was the kind of person who would always be in charge of any relationship, professional or personal.

"What can I help you with?" I said, when I finally trusted myself to keep my voice steady. "Have there been any issues in the office? I haven't seen–" But she waved me into silence, and swallowed her food before explaining further.

"No problems with your staff," she said. "In fact, it seems the office is practically managing itself. I've noticed that Ian Jessop hasn't even been in the building for more than a week. Which suggests that there is a possibility you are in fact taking on informal management duties beyond your project. If that's the case, then we'll have to have a talk about your job title at some point in the near future. But no. Today, I'm here to ask some questions about your conference organisation system. In the time since your first conference, there have been no reports of any issues with your event management at all."