𖥻 14

"good evening mr. kurosawa. i'm pleased to meet you." the way he says these words sounds almost absurd. as if he had been preparing for this evening for days, worrying about how to behave so as not to fail.

also rin gives you a loving smile, then comes up to you, pressing a gentle kiss on your forehead. he then immediately extends his hand, which your father hesitantly accepts. you're still incredibly perplexed, unable to realize that he's really there.

you can't tell from his face that you had a fight a few days ago and haven't gotten along or talked it out yet. to be honest, you can't even tell if you like the way he's acting. the fear that things won't go on as they are now after this is great and remains steadily in the back of your mind.

"late, but at least present," your father mumbles, making a lousy hand gesture that tells you to follow him to the dining table.

you have no choice but to follow him, even though you would much rather talk to rin about your words, about the fight, about you.

"don't be so tense, babe. i'm not leaving anymore," he suddenly breathes into your ear, putting his hands on your hips as he walks behind you, following you to the table.

instantly, you calm down and relax into his hold, immediately think of the car race he was going to.

"what about the race?" you ask quietly so that your parents won't hear.

you have to be careful, because just one little mistake could lead to them forbidding you to see him.

"i thought we'd go together later," he grins, seeming very upbeat and relaxed about the evening.

smiling, you sit down at the table and watch him shake hands with your mother and even kiss her hand. overwhelmed, she looks at the back of her hand before she smiles almost forcedly, sitting down properly.

it should worry you how unenthusiastic your parents seem, but with rin at your side, everything seems to be going well somehow.

"so you work as a mechanic?" your father asks skeptically and looks at your mother, who would have expected more as well.

it's been 20 minutes and slowly, you begin to worry.

rin furrows his eyebrows and squeezes your hand, which he's secretly holding under the table, a little tighter. "in a manner of speaking. but i have no training, just basic knowledge," surprised, your head jerks in his direction, you didn't expect him to be so agonizingly honest. "but i don't think it matters. the main thing is that i treat your lovely daughter well and love her, don't i?"

your father sips his wine glass, your mother taps her finger on the table in a steady beat. "i wonder if it matters, right, it does. we want to have a man who can take care of our daughter. you have nothing and are nothing, surely you're only looking for wealth from our family," your mother hisses and slaps the table with her palm.

everything was working out so well at the beginning, but in the end they wouldn't have thought he was good enough either way — secretly, you wonder if there is anyone out there who can live up to all their expectations.

"my wife is right. we would never allow someone like you to be by her side. it would destroy our entire reputation," your father speaks up and says nothing less terrible than your mother.

tears burn in your eyes, which you try to keep convulsively to yourself. next to you, rin laughs spitefully. "mhm, y/n told what lousy parents you are. i thought you at least cared about her being happy, but seems like only your shitty reputation matters in your messed up life. i feel sorry for you.", he stands up jerkily after letting go of your hand, can't believe that your parents really want to break you up.

"you should leave now. you know where the door is." enraged, rin storms off, leaving your parents and you speechless.

they're speechless from the disrespect, you on the other hand are speechless from your parents who probably don't want you to be happy.

"that was very disappointing, honey," your mother says, breaking the silence.

you love rin and want to be with him, and your parents will certainly not destroy your happiness. aggressively, you throw your empty glass on the floor, which shatters into thousands of pieces.

your parents immediately jump up, get ready to yell at you, but you're ahead of them and don't let them get to it.

"how dare you talk to him like that and judge him? what kind of parents are you? you don't even know him and you can't say whether he is good or bad. i love him and he loves me, that's all that matters and all that should be important to you," you scream at the top of your voice until your throat starts to hurt. "i hate you!" is the last thing you say before storming towards the front door.

"don't think about them, baby. we won't be separated, ever," rin is already waiting for you, sitting in his car. he carefully kisses away your tears, stroking your cheeks with his thumbs. "go on. let's blow off some steam and make some money," you grin, and he doesn't need to be told twice. "all right, lucky charm."