𖥻 06

it's been four days since you were with rin and he still hasn't contacted you.

slowly, you begin to doubt that he will.

secretly, you wonder if it was just one of his tricks to beg you to give him his number and if it is, you've fallen into his trap.

"what's wrong with you?" asks seishiro, who takes you back to his place.

you want to drop your stuff off at his place and then do something. since today was your last day of school, you'll probably be together every day for the next few weeks.

normally, you should be happy, grinning broadly and looking around carefree, but that's not the case, which he has obviously realized.

"it's nothing. i'm just tired," you give him the worst possible excuse, which he won't buy either way.

you feel his gaze on you, so you turn your head in his direction and give him a forced smile.

seishiro just shakes his head, rolling his eyes, but leaves it at that. you'll talk to him when you want to, he won't push you if you're not ready.

"by the way, there's another race tonight. rin is competing and that's why i have to be there. i don't think you want to come, do you?" it's a question, but seishiro doesn't expect you to agree in the least.

the last time should be enough for you, enough happened there.

at the mention of rin, your ears perk up. your heart tightens painfully, but something inside you tells you to take the chance to see him - it's almost as if you have to see him.

a kind of longing for him is inside you, and even though it may be naive, you don't want to believe that he was just using you.

"yes, i'm coming with you," you grin at your best friend, who widens his eyes in shock, but grins along with you. he doesn't know the reason why you're coming, wouldn't suspect in the least that it's because of rin.

[...]

"and this time please stay close to me. i don't want you to get beaten again." he looks you seriously in the eyes, holding you by the upper arms so that you can't leave. he already blamed himself last time, even if it was your own will to stand between the guys fighting.

nevertheless, seishiro always believes that he could have prevented something like that.

rolling your eyes in annoyance you sigh - sometimes he's like an annoying big brother whose protective instinct is a little too strong.

you could easily take care of yourself, but your best friend would never let that happen. he's made it his job to take care of you and also knows that his parents are counting on him to make sure that nothing happens to you.

"i'll be careful," you say, grabbing his hand and pulling him into the crowd with you. it's just like last time, only this time you're not quite as intimidated by the people and impressions.

actually, you don't pay much attention to anything else, just want to see rin and talk to him.

you want to get clarity and know if he feels the same way you do.

"oh, look at that! you seem to have taken a liking to this place after all, sweetie." yoichi approaches you, his hands are loosely tucked into his jacket and this time he doesn't seem to be on it yet.

his grin is cheeky and amused, just like back then, but he seems genuinely surprised to see you again.

you just smile at him briefly, your gaze continuing to dart through the crowd.

"i'm going to barou. you stay right here. i'll be right back," your best friend whispers to you as he digs his wallet out of the back pocket of his jeans.

you knew he was going to bet and who he's betting on, too.

seishiro only ever bets on rin, so he must be here somewhere and since yoichi seems to know him, he'll surely know where he is.

"hey, do you know where rin is? i really need to talk to him," you nudge him, can't interpret his look since he's emotionless, until a crooked grin creeps onto his features again and he nods his head in one direction.

there at the starting line is the familiar car you've already ridden in with him. immediately you want to start, but you're grabbed by the wrist and stopped.

"watch out, the race is about to start. besides, rin is pretty tense, so maybe it's not such a good idea to talk to him now," yoichi becomes serious, but you carefully shake him off and continue on to his car.

meanwhile, yoichi shakes his head, quite impressed by you - you look like an innocent and sweet girl, which you probably are, but on top of that, you're incredibly stubborn, headstrong and brave.

your heart is beating insanely fast in your chest and you are incredibly nervous. you can make out rin in the car, but there are so many people on the driver's side that you couldn't have a quiet second with him. without thinking too much, you run to the other side and then climb into the passenger seat.

"what the-" he head snaps towards you, but calms down when he sees your face. directly he raises the darkened window before turning completely in your direction.

his eyebrows are drawn together and his attitude is the exact opposite of the day you were together and it seems like he's a completely different person as soon as he's racing and being with these people.

"what are you doing here? get out, i have to leave soon," he speaks seriously, his voice still holds a gentle manner. he has missed you and seeing you now gives him a certain strength.

nevertheless, you really have to get out, he can't risk hurting you if you go on this race with him.

who knew that will change soon?

"you didn't answer," you mumble, lowering your head, apparently not understanding the situation you're in.

you start to play with your fingers, waiting for an answer or an explanation, but nothing comes.

sighing, you want to get out, but rin's hand roughly pushes you back into the seat. "fasten your seat belt now!"