𖥻 19

waking up you notice a steady beeping.

it's as if it's far away, getting closer and closer.

your eyes flutter open and close countless times in the brightness until you're somewhat used to it.

the room you're lying in isn't one you know, but it's easy to decide that it's a hospital.

"y/n? oh my god!" you feel a warm hand on yours.

the next moment your mother's face enters your field of vision, looking more worried than ever. your father also seems to be there, since you smell his strong, expensive perfume, which he always applies generously — it gives you a headache and again you squint your eyes.

"what happened?" your throat is as dry as sandpaper. your voice is weak + quiet and your parents almost didn't understand what you said.

instantly, the relieved atmosphere changes into a gloomy one. you can clearly feel the anger and tension of your parents, who seem to be thinking about what to say.

"your oh so great boyfriend had an accident during a race. i knew from the beginning that something like this would happen," your father growls in anger.

carefully you turn your head to the side so that you can see him. as always, his body is dressed in an expensive suit, except that his jacket is hanging over the chair and the sleeves of his shirt are rolled up.

"but you didn't listen and we weren't consistent enough. we know better now. it's because of him and his bad influence that you're lying in this hospital bed." his words make your blood boil.

once again they disappoint you.

you see them for the first time in a half year and once again they don't give you what you need to hear and what you need right now.

your mother nods in agreement, but continues to stroke the back of your hand. her gesture disgusts you, you don't want to see either of them anymore.

"get out of here now! i don't want to see you anymore." jerkily you sit up, ignoring the black dots dancing in front of your eyes and the hellish pain in your entire body.

scenes from the race come to your mind, slowly you remember. and you can remember that rin was not to blame for the accident.

on the contrary.

your mother in shock, your father getting even angrier at your words.

his face turns red and a deep wrinkle forms on his forehead. but before he can even begin to say anything, you interrupt him. "are you deaf? i told you to get out of here! i hate you!" you scream at the top of your lungs, shocking your parents and yourself.

even your ears hurt from your shrill screaming and it's probably audible in the hallway as well, as a nurse enters the room in alarm.

however, you don't let this distract you, continuing to focus on the two people you have learned to loathe. "i don't need you in my life. you don't even realize that this guy is the one i want to spend my life with and love more than anything," you speak slowly. "i'm sorry but you don't know how to love and it's obviously spoiling you." are the last words you manage to say before you pass out again.

the constant worry about what's going on with rin is burned into the back of your mind.

[...]

once again you wake up. it feels like you're trapped in a cycle.

this time your parents are nowhere to be seen. apparently they understood that you're done with them.

only tsukiko is sitting on the chair, typing away on her phone. she looks exhausted, her eyes slightly red, as if she's been crying for hours. her usually vibrant outfits have been replaced by adidas sweatpants and a gray hoodie, and her hair is tied up in a messy bun.

"tsukiko...", you breathe, your neck so dry that it already hurts since it took several attempts to say anything at all.

immediately she looks up and then stumbles energetically to you, takes your hand in hers and smiles at you with relief.

as if she can sense your demand, she reaches for a glass of water and helps you to drink. it feels good and soon the strange, aching feeling is gone.

"hey, how are you?" she asks you gently, scanning your face as if trying to see if you're in pain anywhere.

she's relieved to see you on the mend. after all, you were in a coma for about three weeks due to the severe injuries you sustained. the doctors knew you would wake up, but whether it was for days or months, they couldn't say.

"i'm okay. just tired," you answer in short sentences, not yet able to do more.

besides, it's not about you — you need to know what's going on with rin.. where he is, if he's okay.

a fear spreads through you.

what if he's worse off than you?

what if he's succumbed to his injuries?

you don't want to imagine that, tears involuntarily form in your eyes.

"where is he tsukiko? please tell me he's okay," you whisper, looking at her urgently.

immediately the smile on her pretty face fades.

bad sign.

"tsukiko! where is he?" you become louder, afraid of her reaction.

"you got it worse than he did. he only had a few scratches and a few broken ribs," she reassures you, but still you can see in her look that something is wrong.

pressing her lips together she squeezes your hand tighter in hers. "he left with yoichi. i can't reach him, no one knows where he is. not even sae. i'm sorry, y/n"