Chapter 1: Runaway

"Tom!"

My throat was sore already. Panting, I rested my hands on my knees, looking around myself for that cheeky child.

He had managed to get away right under my nose. How could I let this happen? For the past days, he'd been even more exhaustive than usual. I should have kept an eye on him. I should have seen this coming.

Near the school, there was a meadow with a playground. Perhaps he went there? Quickly, I stood upright and ran over to that place.

The principal is gonna kill me...

I heard light voices, laughing and screaming. A group of children was playing on the playground, more than usual. They were a bit younger than elementary school, so it couldn't be one of us. Perhaps they were from the kindergarten nearby?

I shook my head. That didn't matter at the moment. I needed to head back quickly without anyone noticing.

I made my way across the meadow, between the playing children, scanning for a boy with red hair. And then, by the slide, I found him, talking to other children. Quickly, I ran over to him. Good thing I chose to wear sneakers today.

"Tom! There you are!"

When Tom saw me, he rolled his eyes. I leaned down to him, frowning. "Tom, you can't run away just like that! Why did you do that?"

"Leave me alone, Mrs. Krupin!", he shouted, crossing his arms. "I hate school! It annoys me! And I hate all the children and teachers there! Especially you!"

Suddenly, a soft voice spoke up.

"You shouldn't talk like that to your teacher, Tom."

Eyes slightly widened, Tom turned around. I raised my head as well to look who just talked to him.

"Your teacher was worried about you and probably searched for you everywhere. No matter how much you resent school, you cannot talk to your teachers like this. And school can be a lot of fun, if you give it a chance."

"... Do you think so?" Tom was skeptical.

The man nodded, placing a hand on Tom's shoulder. "Yes, I mean it. Now go back with your teacher. You can play with us the next time we come here, and we're here quite often."

He gave him a slight push on the back, leading him back to me. Still astonished, I smiled at him politely. "Thank you. May I know-"

But before I knew anything, that boy started running down the meadow. I sighed. "Excuse me. TOM!"

As I was running after him, he shouted: "See you, guys! Goodbye, Johan!"

Johan?

I turned back. That must be his name... Johan. But now, I had to go back to work, and sneak into the school building with Tom and without anyone noticing.