Chapter 24: Never have I ever

I made my way across the room, listening to the rhythm at the beginning of Billie Jean. My eyes searched for Klara. Before, when I talked to Gabi, I had seen her from afar, but now, I lost sight of her. Quickly, I observed the people to find her.

"Johan!"

I turned around when hearing her voice. She was standing right behind me. "Just in time. That's your song!"

I was kind of thrown off by the things that Gabi had told me just now, so my reaction was probably weird to Klara. She was looking at me excitedly, moving to the rhythm, waiting for me to say something. "... Right." She must have noticed my delayed reaction, but didn't ask anything. Instead, she took my wrists - I could tell she was quite nervous about that - but she covered it with her smile. "Come on! Who will dance - on the floor - in the round!" She dragged me into the crowd, still dancing, gazing at me with bright, sparkling eyes. After all I've heard today, I was glad she was so happy at the moment, so I decided to put my thoughts aside and danced along with her - after all, I practiced for this moment.

Indeed, she was quite impressed by my moves. After we danced next to each other for a moment, I took her hand, so she could spin around, then laid a hand on her waist and danced together with her. I couldn't remember when I had so much fun like that night. Klara was quite a good dancer with a great sense of tact, so I bet we looked incredible on the dance floor. I hope she didn't know how nervous I was. There had been moments when I had danced with girls - at my graduation, for instance - but dancing so closely with someone you were involved with was wholly different.

But the best thing was yet to come. I let go of her, at which she reacted astonished at first, but when the chorus of the song started again, I lowered my hat, moonwalking on the dance floor. Klara's jaw dropped when she saw me, then, she started laughing, holding a hand in front of her mouth. The other guests were staring as well, then cheering me on. Eventually, I came back to her, grinning. She was still speechless. "I can't believe you pulled that off! That was incredible! No, you were incredible!" "Now it's your turn", I told her. I took off my hat and put it on for her. She shook her head. "Not in these heels! I'm gonna break my ankles." She pointed at the speakers. "But we'll keep on dancing, anyway, because it's time for Beat It!"

That moment, that very song started playing. I spotted Gabi in the crowd. "Do you want to call your friend over?", I asked Klara, pointing at Gabi. "Yes, good idea! GABI!" She recognised us and went over to us, dancing with a glass of white wine, screaming the lyrics along. Klara joined her, dancing in the same motion with her together ("BEAT IT!, Beat it!", [...]). Admittedly, they both made my eardrums burst with their screaming, but seeing her enjoying the time put me at ease. She looked really cute, actually, giving her best to hit the notes, playing air guitar, shaking her head until it hurt... she was so adorable to look at.

The music became more quiet as Theresa stepped on the small stage, holding a microphone. "Alright, everyone! The first hour is over, and we'd like to move on with our program for tonight! Next up the list is our first game, 'Never have I ever'! Please form a big circle, and we'll hand out the drinks!"

"Oh, that's not good." Gabi clung on to Klara. "I already drank too much, Klara! I'm gonna pass out after this game!"

(Note: In case you don't know the rules to this game, please look it up on Google. I suppose most of you know the rules, so I won't write them down here.)

"Well, that's not my fault! You can take an alcohol-free drink, just like me." 

"... That's a good idea, actually."

We formed a big circle with all the guests. Unlike Klara And Gabi, I took a glass of wine - luckily, I didn't have anything to drink yet, so I didn't have to worry about passing out.

"Damn it, my promiscuous lifestyle is gonna kill me in this game", said Gabi. The first round started.

"Never have I ever - slept with three different people a week!"

Gabi looked at us, grunting. "... I told you so." And she took a sip of her drink. Klara giggled at her remarks. 

Most of the game went as usual - some normal rounds, some sexual rounds and a couple of funny ones.

"Never have I ever - committed more than five crimes!"

Oh, that was my turn. I took a sip, glancing at Klara, who drank as well. "I didn't know you had such a criminal past", I teased her. "Yes, I have been quite naughty", she replied. "I drank beer at least ten times before my 16th birthday."

I had to withhold my laughter at that cute answer. "And that's a crime?" "It's not legal, so I assume." Then, she frowned. "Hey, look who's talking! You took a sip as well! What have you done to commit five crimes?" "Which story do want to hear first?", I asked her. She shook her head in disbelief. "Yeah. Yeah. I can't imagine you did something terrible. Did you drink twenty beers before your sixteenth birthday?"

I smirked when she said that. If you knew... Yeah. If she knew, she'd probably run away.

"Never have I ever..."

I raised my head, listening to the person talking.

"... slept with someone!"

Some people rolled their eyes. "Come on, that's boring!" I glanced at Klara again. Gabi, standing next to her, took a sip immediately. Klara, on the other hand, was staring into nowhere. She didn't move for a few seconds, then lowered her gaze and took a small sip. Someone next to me nudged me.

"Are you serious, Michael Jackson? You didn't drink anything in this round?" I smiled back. "I'm waiting for the right one." The girl next to me stared at me with big, teary eyes. "For real? I didn't know such men still exist!" Admittedly, I didn't really listen to her. Klara's expression was so gloomy all of a sudden, almost ashame. She was looking at the ground, her eyebrows furrowed. But then, the next round started, and she focused again, wearing her smile as always. Carefully, I put a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you alright?"

She nodded. "I just need something to eat. Let's go to the buffet after this game. And then, we can go dance again."

I nodded happily, looking forward to the next hours we'd spent here.